SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-08-11, 02:12 PM   #971
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Re: F1 Racing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post

I guess it is more a question of people being reluctant to change more than anything else?
Why? It's another xx quid a month, and re runs are not the same. I don't like watching races when I already know the result and trying to dodge every bit of news all day long until the re run is shown is a pain in the rse
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:26 PM   #972
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Therefore why should the general license fee payer subsidise the whims of a minority?
The BBC seems to cater to the whim of every other minority, so why not continue with those that they are highly acclaimed for.

There is a bigger issue here. Sports viewers in general are not a minority, however little by little every sport is being transfered to subscription services.

Premier league football, cricket, boxing, plus many others all used to be available on terrestrial channels. Now almost no sports are.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 04:16 PM   #973
Pedrosa

In today's world sport means money and regrettably free to view sporting events are becoming a thing of the past. Just wait until a certain sport needs a massive injection of cash and then one by one the previously "untouchable" events gradually find a new home. It just might happen.
Old 03-08-11, 04:19 PM   #974
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Apparently with this new deal the Beeb saves 25million quid. You get full re runs of all races, plus according to one report I read 10 "Marque" races per season.
Thats not been confirmed, BBC are saying its higlights of the races that they dont show live. Rather than a full defered re-run which is what I personally would be happy with as its workable compromise a bit like how the BBC show all the MotoGP races live and then Eurosport show them an hour later.

Funny how the BBC find money for a new TV Program called "The Voice" to run on BBC3 at £22 million but want to save £25million by ditching F1...

Quote:
The complaints could have more value if for example viewing stats were as they are here in Spain when every F1 race tops the viewing figures as does the Moto GP coverage. Detail that overshadow what happens in the U.K.
F1 coverage of the weekends just gone Hungarian F1 was in the region of 6 million if what I read on the web was correct, it was the most watched program at the weekend on the BBC... so its hardly being watched by a minority of viewers. Also the BBC coverage is BAFTA award winning, they even as Bernie recognises set the standard for coverage, they are world leaders and they also flog their coverage off to other countries, Canada for example.. so hows that going to work is that a potential loss of income.

Quote:
I guess it is more a question of people being reluctant to change more than anything else?
Not at all. We already have Sky with HD, to subscribe to sky sports is anothe £25 a month on top of what I already pay, thats assuming that Sky show the F1 on the same Sky channel each time and I dont need to pay to subscribe to each Sky Channel which is more money again.

Just like the BBC I need to economise, Its hard to justify the Sky cost when the only thing I'd watch on Sky would be the F1. I'm not interested in Football etc etc.

Then you have the point that if I do pay to watch it on Sky would the hell would I bother with watching the Live races on BBC1...

Its just very frustrating that the sport I have grown up with I've watched since I was 4 or 5. That I used to sneak downstairs and watch through the gap in the door of the front room when my dad was watching "Grand Prix" on BBC2 late at night. Is if I wish to watch every race live, now going to cost me extra money over the cost of a year and personally as I said above its hard to justify.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 04:32 PM   #975
Pedrosa

Hmmm, it would appear that in the eyes of more learned F1 fans, I am perhaps talking utter b*llox. Nothing new there then.
Old 03-08-11, 04:39 PM   #976
keithd

Quote:
Hmmm, it would appear that in the eyes of more learned F1 fans, I am perhaps talking utter b*llox. Nothing new there then.
lol funny thing is, i totally agreed with your post. then read the replies and thought actually no i agree with them
Old 03-08-11, 04:59 PM   #977
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:

Also if I have understood it correctly, the number of people with a current Sky Sports subscription is around 6 million which is the same as the number of people who watched F1 the weekend just gone, which also makes a mockery of the BBC's line "SKy will bring F1 to a wider audience" line they have been trotting out.

Also whilst I appreciate that the Olympics is a once in a lifetime opportunity do the BBC really need to spend license payers money following the Olympic torch around the country for 70 days ?

Theres nealy 8000 posts of complaint about it in response to a statement from the BBC's head of F1 on the BBC website here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sportedit...red_betwe.html

and not one word of reply from anybody at the BBC.

Old 03-08-11, 08:11 PM   #978
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Well the Beeb has just moved its entire operation to Salford(kind of Manchester area)so we can expect to look forward to a great new era of grim gritty reality programs from now on.Full wets will be required
Old 03-08-11, 08:44 PM   #979
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Well the Beeb has just moved its entire operation to Salford
At a cost of £877million... makes the £25million saving by ditching F1 seem like a drop in the ocean doesnt it.

Old 03-08-11, 09:05 PM   #980
pookie

And Ben gallop ( head of f1 bbc) just keep digging. Part time coverage of an organic ever evolving F1 season will be interesting. Maybe they could lump all the highlights and do a feature length film at the end of the season. What I enjoy is the build up and the behind the scenes insight on track day and post race interviews. Racing is good but the commentary , technical analysis adds so much. Can't see the current team staying on a part time basis.
I see it going the same way as MOTD 2
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote