SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-05-06, 02:49 PM   #1
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Steve Piper Motorcycles

Has anyone had any dealings with/ know's Steve Piper Motorcyles in Eastleigh Nr Southampton?

I bought a K3 off him back in December, and at the time he didn't have the service history/book or the spare key available, though said he would drop it in the post. 6 months later, nothing. I have been chasing it up with phone calls and emails but as yet still no response.

I'm not overly fussed about the service book, but I would like a spare key and do not like the fact that someone else has it. I'm a little worried, from insurance point of view, that since I'm not in posession of it, I would be up sh*t creek in the event of a theft claim. I have no record of the key number, so am not sure how to go about getting a replacement. Is this the kind of thing that must be ordered from Suzuki or can I pop into any cobblers and get one cut from my current key?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-06, 03:25 PM   #2
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

you'll be able to get a spare key cut at your local place the only trouble i had was they had run out of the key so i had to wait about a week till some more came in
Old 20-05-06, 03:40 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

What deal did you do at the time?The spare key is important to you and I would suggest the service history is a vital part of the value of your bike.If you paid for those at the time of purchase you have a valid claim against the seller if they can't produce.If you tried to sell the bike it would be worth less without those items.
Old 20-05-06, 04:01 PM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
What deal did you do at the time?The spare key is important to you and I would suggest the service history is a vital part of the value of your bike.If you paid for those at the time of purchase you have a valid claim against the seller if they can't produce.If you tried to sell the bike it would be worth less without those items.
When I went to collect the bike, both the keys and service log were supposed to be there. Unfortunately, Eastleigh is an hour and a half train journey away from where I live and the last thing I wanted to do was walk away because these things weren't present - Everything else, V5 etc was all present and correct. I really didn't see a problem with him putting them in the post - except for the fact that he hasn't put them in the post.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 20-05-06, 04:26 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Don't know about the key,but I bet they never had a sevice history and used it as a selling point.Make a complaint in writing,keeping copies,and think about asking for a reasonable bit of cash back for them not fulfilling the deal.Small claims court action could be a useful tool.
Old 20-05-06, 04:59 PM   #6
Ed

Quote:
Small claims court action could be a useful tool.
Doubt it, you have to incur a loss, and I can't see that any loss has been incurred so far. Diminution in potential value is not usually enough.
Old 20-05-06, 05:10 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Surely there would be a claim in that the seller never fulfilled the deal by posting the key and service history.Could be more of a trading standards issue though?
Old 20-05-06, 05:26 PM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:
Small claims court action could be a useful tool.
Doubt it, you have to incur a loss, and I can't see that any loss has been incurred so far. Diminution in potential value is not usually enough.
True. One bit of advice that my stepdad often gives though is, if you do write a letter send it by recorded post. This often puts the wind up the person you are writing to because it suggests that you are taking that matter further ie solicitors etc. This 'suggestion' has the effect of kicking their @rses into gear to resolve the situation. I have used this before when I did freelance work (in terms of paying my invoices) and often worked even though I had no real intention of actually taking them to court.

Not sure how this would work here though.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 20-05-06, 06:07 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Anyone needing keys, I had a couple cut here recently

http://www.tradeinpost.com/suzuki.html

The guy there is very good (rides a Bandit) and can either send you a blank for you to get cut, or he'll cut there and then if you can visit. Check first he has blanks in stock. He is very careful cutting them, mine work perfectly and they are very clean cut with no burrs etc.

My local dealers said they'd have to send my (one and only, having lost one) key away to be cut. Errr, no!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-06, 07:25 PM   #10
Valman

I think you need to get proper legal advice on this one as they sold you a bike without including everything they said they would supply, and your bike is worth less without the service history.

As for keys, my local locksmith charged me £4 and he picked the blank up off the shelf so they're nothing special, no need to send the key off or anything else. Suzuki charge a fair bit more for the privilege of having the Suzuki bit on the top.