SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-04-11, 10:36 PM   #1
T0mmyGun92

Default k6 to k9 engine swap?

right... atm i have an 07 plate sv but k6 set up... end of k6 line bike getting registered late. done about 30k mile, i'm the third owner and the engine has gone bang. So i'm looking at buying a crashed and cosmetically damaged sv, found a few online. Best I have found so far is a k9 sv with rh plastic damage, engine n forks etc. fine n 2500 miles on the clock at a good price so got me interested, only problem that i have thought of is that the k6 engines had the single spark plug per cylinder, and k7 onwards had 2 per cylinder. Does this mean that the engines wouldn't be able to be swapped or would it be a simple task of just swapping the plug wiring from the k9 model to my k6?
Old 11-04-11, 08:42 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: k6 to k9 engine swap?

I've not done this. However, the motors are going to be physically identical in terms of fitting into the frame.

Your headaches will be to do with electrics. I believe the K9 has duel spark heads as you've pointed out so you might need the coils from the K9. They also have a sensor in the exhaust which I'm not sure the K6 had so you'll either need to move all the electrics across from the K9, and the extra sensors or move only what you need to run the extra plugs. I doubt it's going to be too hard though.

Jambo
Old 11-04-11, 10:12 AM   #3
Stonesie

I would transplant everything engine related because they have a lambda sensor in the exhaust, different ECU and that means a different engine wiring loom.
Old 12-04-11, 06:36 PM   #4
T0mmyGun92

yeah spoke to the mechanic and he said the same as stonesie, found a couple of crashed and cosmetically damaged ones so think i may have to buy that and take the parts off of mine and put it onto that