SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-12, 07:50 PM   #11
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: The surf thread...

Small 1 foot sets coming through this evening, given how sunny it was I couldn't resist jumping in. A few little waves caught, just nice to be paddling about.
Old 21-08-12, 07:04 PM   #12
Tim in Belgium

Flat yesterday, spearfishing wasn't successful either...
Old 21-08-12, 08:08 PM   #13
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Flat as a millpond here in Dorset too. Also no luck mackerel fishing which is annoying cos for the last few years we were getting 20 in an hour.

Even the fishmongers are struggling for line caught mack.

Did manage to get a few today... smoked over oak chippings in a bucket. Nom nom!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-12, 09:56 PM   #14
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-12, 10:13 PM   #15
matt_rehm_hext

I do.

Bodyboard = BZ Hubb (got it cheap on a package deal from a shop)

Holiday visiting family in Cornwall (not this year unfortunately) and winter sessions when I can afford it, on the south coast.

I guess the closest wave to London worth surfing in the winter is Bournemouth, Boscombe and Kimmeridge.

Fav wave = Not too sure, I quite like Sennen cove for it's huge beach with great scenery but Newquays variety of beaches are good, Porthleven looks good but never been in, Praa Sands can be fun, and I quite like Boscombe pier although it's not a great place for swell.

Biggest fright? well I got caught in a rip current for 30mins once in crazy currents at Perranporth and it was very hard to get back in properly

Biggest wave scared me a bit too, that was an amazing freak swell at Watergate Bay in Newquay August 2011, 10foot+, clean and slightly offshore
Old 21-08-12, 11:09 PM   #16
chezvegas85

online only
Old 09-09-13, 09:35 AM   #17
Stenno

Went to Polzeath this weekend in Cornwall and had fun! Waves were good enough for us beginners, caught a few but haven't quite mastered getting up unlike the girlfriend. Might try and go again this autumn but it's a long ol' drive, bout 5hrs.

Anyone recommend anywhere else down south? I guess southern Wales is a good option and might be quicker!
Old 21-10-13, 07:14 PM   #18
Tim in Belgium

Had a good surf Friday after work, a cheeky session Saturday whilst the UK pro tour was going on the other side of the pier and an ace session this evening. Pity the clocks are about to change now that the autumn swells are starting to travel down the north sea.
Old 22-10-13, 10:16 AM   #19
ClunkintheUK

I've surfed a few times in South Wales. Been meaning to get out a bit more and do some more. Still a rookie on the pop-outs, but I can stand a steer and look competent to someone who doesn;t know surfing.
Old 22-10-13, 10:24 AM   #20
granty92

have surfed a few times only use my mates board but is good fun and tires you out massively