SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-16, 10:40 AM   #11
moto2cool

Default Re: looking for windshield for sv 650 A 2017

You're right, but I have to buy things gradually. I' ll think about it closer to rainy season but thanks for the idea
moto2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-16, 09:57 PM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I fitted the MRA one to my AL7 a couple of months ago, it is well made and easy to fit and looked good, but the increase in helmet noise was horrendous (it was pushing turbulent airstream straight into my head area), went from no earplugs without screen to push-in foam industrial ones (they stop 99% of any noise in the world) - cut the top 70mm (the upturned lip ) off the screen, still keeps a lot of wind off and much quieter (still not back to pre-screen levels though). I may take it off in the summer and only put it back when temperature starts to drop later in year. Have attached photo of cut-off screen - still need to tidy up top of screen a bit more and put the edging strip along top. Note the handguards with white LEDs and the 10watt Cree LED spots (use them as DRL's and to augment the single headlight if I ever get caught out at night LOL the 10watt spots are probably the best thing I fitted from a safety point of view - extremely visible even in bright sun ) both from Alchemy parts. I used to wear a bright orange Hi-Vis bib before I got the LED spots, but the orange reflection in the LCD instrument display used to blank the screen out quite a lot, so I ditched the bib and fitted the Hi-Vis spots instead,

Pyramid plastics do quite a few bits for AL7 (I have fitted their 'carbon look' hugger and fenda extenda, their hugger is a bit short (but worth fitting) and may need a 'hugger extenda piece at some later date) and are very helpful and answer email queries promptly.

That front mudguard is a joke, right ? best to get a fenda extenda and a radiator guard if the radiator is going to have any life at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02504.jpg (127.2 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-11-16 at 11:49 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-16, 09:12 PM   #13
moto2cool

I've got the fenda extenda from Pyramid too

made a video, but is not as good as I would like (portuguese language )

https://youtu.be/YuFrnF1nlKU

Last edited by moto2cool; 14-11-16 at 09:27 PM. Reason: link to video
Old 14-11-16, 09:41 PM   #14
moto2cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I fitted the MRA one to my AL7 a couple of months ago, ....
I noticed that you dont have the plastic edge of the screen, I think it is important for safety, in case of an accident you can cut the throat. Cant use it because you cut the screen?
Old 14-11-16, 10:44 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto2cool View Post
I noticed that you dont have the plastic edge of the screen, I think it is important for safety, in case of an accident you can cut the throat. Cant use it because you cut the screen?

If that screen dares to cut my throat I will teach it - I will cut some more off till there is nothing left to cut my throat on. I don't think the push on strip is going to do much (wasn't a good fit anyway), better if it was glued on maybe - I will put a health and safety notice on the screen warning people about its throat cutting tendencies .

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 15-11-16, 07:56 AM   #16
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
If that screen dares to cut my throat I will teach it - I will cut some more off till there is nothing left to cut my throat on. I don't think the push on strip is going to do much (wasn't a good fit anyway), better if it was glued on maybe - I will put a health and safety notice on the screen warning people about its throat cutting tendencies .
Yeah! Screw health and safety! LOL

Actually the blow to your throat would be the problem due to fracture of the hyoid bone (like getting strangled or a karate chop in the throat) not any cutting. A strip won't stop that.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-16, 09:06 AM   #17
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
Yeah! Screw health and safety! LOL

Actually the blow to your throat would be the problem due to fracture of the hyoid bone (like getting strangled or a karate chop in the throat) not any cutting. A strip won't stop that.
+1

If I worried about stuff like the (rounded off) edge of my screen being able to cut my throat under certain very specific circumstances (IMHO its more likely to chop my winkie or kneecaps off in a crash LOL as I carried on flying after the bike had been stopped extremely suddenly) I would not be riding a bike, I would be sat at home all day firmly wrapped in cotton wool.

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-11-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-02-18, 06:46 PM   #18
Keeperman

I have the Givi one but still get a lot of wind buffeting and noise, thinking of the MRA version. Have a couple of questions.
1. Does the black one obscure vision much, (I’m looking at clear or grey).
2. Could someone post a pic of the whole bike from side with screen fitted please.
Old 10-02-18, 06:58 PM   #19
Keeperman

Has anyone got a photo to post of the MRA screen fitted?
Old 10-02-18, 07:27 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperman View Post
Has anyone got a photo to post of the MRA screen fitted?
I fitted an MRA screen but was shocked by the amount of wind noise it caused in previously quiet helmets. I ended up cutting the top 75mm off (the whole of the upturned lip) which was directing turbulent air up to helmet level. When I think about it now AL7 was not too bad without screen at legal speeds and a lot less wind noise in in helmet than I have even now with cut off screen.

I can post a photo when I get chance to get into garage or may have one on computer already.