SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 17-08-15, 03:28 PM   #1
Fordward

Default Which tyre plug?

Had to plug a 1 day old Michelin Pilot Road 4 on Saturday.... bugger!

Still, I'm glad I was carrying the plugging kit.

What in your opinion and experience is the best plug type, and do you consider them to be a permanent repair?

Super sealastic (BMW toolkit, AA & RAC)

Stop n Go

Sticky strip

???
Old 17-08-15, 03:56 PM   #2
lumpo

Default Re: Which tyre plug?

I've used the long sticky worm type plugs before. they work well but I consider them a 'get you home' repair.

I always get punctures professionally repaired as by taking the tyre off they can see if any damage to the inside tyre wall that could weaken the tyre.
Old 17-08-15, 04:48 PM   #3
Alexander94

I've got a repair with the mushroom looking one, it was easy to do and after about 500 miles seems to be holding up very well
Old 17-08-15, 08:57 PM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I did a sticky string fix .
I took it off and did a proper repair.
I was surprised by how well it actually does its job.
Old 17-08-15, 10:10 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

proper mushroom type. its like a patch with a string of rubber in the middle, only problem is getting someone to do it
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-15, 11:01 PM   #6
Alexander94

A friend of mine keeps a kit with the mushroom type in his top box and I got a puncture at the beginning of a 100 mile ride, we did the repair in about half an hour (we needed to work out how to actually use the kit as the instructions weren't very clear) and it's been fine ever since. I think the kit costs about £25
Old 18-08-15, 05:57 AM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
proper mushroom type. its like a patch with a string of rubber in the middle, only problem is getting someone to do it
Yes its a proper patch and plug combo.

And just like the OP. Its allways a hoop thats less than 1,000 miles in that manages to get a nail..

Just like my PR4 80 miles !!!
I think that the builder's are responsible.
Old 19-08-15, 11:19 AM   #8
aoleks

just for the record, how exactly do you fit a mushroom type plug (or any other type) from the inside of the tyre if you're somewhere far away? how do you take the tyre off and put it back once it's fixed?
Old 19-08-15, 12:23 PM   #9
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoleks View Post
just for the record, how exactly do you fit a mushroom type plug (or any other type) from the inside of the tyre if you're somewhere far away? how do you take the tyre off and put it back once it's fixed?

You'd need to carry the correct tools. A breaker bar and the right size sockets to get the wheel off, a G-Clamp to break the bead and get the tyre into the centre of the rim, a pair of tyre levers, and a bit of WD40 helps to slip the tyre over the rim.

I've only carried all the tools twice, both on trips to Portugal where I was going off road and up mountains and I was on a bike with inner tubes so plugs from the outside aren't possible. Where I was going there's no way your going to get help from a breakdown truck, so you have to be self sufficient and able to fix almost anything.

If you look carefully you'll see there are two tail packs on my bike, one on top of the other. The bottom one contains nothing except tools and spares.

Old 19-08-15, 12:33 PM   #10
Alexander94

I did it on the bike. You use a punch type thing to push the larger part through the tyre then you pull on the tab that sticks out to secure it
EBay item number: 301662879242