SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-03-20, 04:57 PM   #4411
daktulos

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
How did you get on with it?
I liked it generally. The handlebars felt really wide, and I was slipping forward in the seat a bit, with too much weight on my wrists, but is something I'd adapt to. I didn't like the indicator switch gear, but that was minor. There was a fair amount of mirror shake at certain speeds, but went away going faster. It has a massive turning circle compared to the SV! Suspension didn't seem too hard, but definitely better than the SV.

On the motorway in 6th, I felt like I was a couple of gears too low from the sound of the engine, so I was probably in the wrong gear a fair bit of the time, but that's again something to get used to.

The quick-shifter was great - I got used to it a bit too quickly, which I wasn't expecting. So much, that I did (thankfully just once) forget the clutch on the way home.

Generally, beautifully smooth and responsive. The rain mode smoothed everything out even further. I found I had more confidence in tight corners than the SV, I don't know why - perhaps it's the wide handlebars and slightly more forward position.

The TFT was definitely lacking - I can understand why people are complaining about the new layout. The tacho was impossible to read, but it wasn't just that - other text was hard to find/read, too, to my eyes, anyway.

Generally, I loved riding it, big smiles all round. I will test-ride the R when it's available, but at the moment it's looking more likely than the RS, but we'll see!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-20, 05:44 PM   #4412
Chris_SVS

Played it fast and loose by visiting a country currently on Corona Lockdown for lunch

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 16-03-20 at 05:45 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-20, 06:39 PM   #4413
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The frogs have been "busy" in the pond at Trev Towers - always makes me smile as it feels Spring is not far off once this appears. Took it over a week ago but only just got round to uploading it...

Frogspawn 2020 by Trevor Laight, on Flickr
Old 16-03-20, 08:41 PM   #4414
Craig380
Mega Poster

Working from home for the foreseeable, so had a couple of hours out on the bike this afternoon. Gotta get the miles in before the roadblocks go up
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-20, 09:40 PM   #4415
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I liked it generally. The handlebars felt really wide, and I was slipping forward in the seat a bit, with too much weight on my wrists, but is something I'd adapt to.

It's better than the seat on the older models for this, but still slides you forward a bit. I found the seat material didn't help.

Quote:
I found I had more confidence in tight corners than the SV, I don't know why - perhaps it's the wide handlebars and slightly more forward position.

I think that's down to the quality of the suspension. It is very good. A bit harsh on the wrong roads but does it's job keeping the tyres in the right place most of the time.

Quote:

The TFT was definitely lacking - I can understand why people are complaining about the new layout. The tacho was impossible to read, but it wasn't just that - other text was hard to find/read, too, to my eyes, anyway.

I was looking forward to the TFT but the idea of it is better than the reality. Once you're riding all you need is clear info and it doesn't matter how it's delivered.

I think if I went for one it would be the R version and I'd be looking at an aftermarket seat with a slightly different shape and less slippery material.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-20, 09:54 PM   #4416
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I was looking forward to the TFT but the idea of it is better than the reality. Once you're riding all you need is clear info and it doesn't matter how it's delivered.
You get the bluetooth integration, but are then limited to the software to use. You get self-cancelling indicators, but I'm not fussed about that. You get better heated grips, but they have the same functionality and I may look at heated gloves instead. I've not seen the R yet, but given the cost difference and the slightly disappointing TFT, it's looking more likely.
Quote:
I think if I went for one it would be the R version and I'd be looking at an aftermarket seat with a slightly different shape and less slippery material.
I think the seat looks great, it'd be a shame to replace it. I'd probably leave it a while to see if I get used to it ... I'd consider bar-end mirrors and the belly pan ... and a tail-tidy, but that applies to both.

Hoepfully, there'll be some new offers in April to persuade me, too.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-20, 10:09 PM   #4417
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
I liked it generally. The handlebars felt really wide, and I was slipping forward in the seat a bit, with too much weight on my wrists, but is something I'd adapt to. I didn't like the indicator switch gear, but that was minor. There was a fair amount of mirror shake at certain speeds, but went away going faster. It has a massive turning circle compared to the SV! Suspension didn't seem too hard, but definitely better than the SV.

On the motorway in 6th, I felt like I was a couple of gears too low from the sound of the engine, so I was probably in the wrong gear a fair bit of the time, but that's again something to get used to.

The quick-shifter was great - I got used to it a bit too quickly, which I wasn't expecting. So much, that I did (thankfully just once) forget the clutch on the way home.

Generally, beautifully smooth and responsive. The rain mode smoothed everything out even further. I found I had more confidence in tight corners than the SV, I don't know why - perhaps it's the wide handlebars and slightly more forward position.

Generally, I loved riding it, big smiles all round. I will test-ride the R when it's available, but at the moment it's looking more likely than the RS, but we'll see!

Just get the Daytona, it's got a fairing so you don't get battered by the wind..... The quickshifter is great and in the few months of owning mine, I've gotten used to it and love it!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-20, 12:21 PM   #4418
Bibio
Mega Poster

car insurance gone down by £150
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-20, 04:32 PM   #4419
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Ours has gone down about £60 too. The first time ever that we might actually let the automatic renewal roll over.
Old 17-03-20, 04:38 PM   #4420
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Hoepfully, there'll be some new offers in April to persuade me, too.

Second hand prices are getting better for the newer models with low miles...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-S...torefresh=true