SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-22, 09:32 AM   #11
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: RIP test rides

Second hand places often don't service the bikes or check in the workshop them until they know they're sold, so won't let you ride them on a safety basis.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-22, 02:51 PM   #12
ethariel

Then you have the issue that the main dealer that lets you take a test ride forgot to mention the 3k of go faster parts and super comfort seat fitted to the demo so the bike you get delivered is a totally different beast to the demo machine (HD are a huge example of this, a lot of demo bikes are fully stage 1 of not stage 2 bikes)
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 08:13 AM   #13
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Back in the day did anyone have a test ride? It was at a time when there were loads of bike shops but no stock! You chose your bike and patiently waited for it to be made. I never thought about asking for a test ride when I bought Suzy, but it was an inspired choice. As the years go by even more so. Its light, powerful enough (for me) and since I have never ridden a perfect suspension set up I am not envious of those that have
Dunno what counts as 'back in the day' but in 1999/2000 I was given an SV for a full day from York Suzuki. (maybe just the afternoon?) Rode it for miles and ordered a new one when I got back.

When the SV1000S came out I had an hour's test before I took it back, but could have had longer.

Test driven several bikes from dealers since, not really been an issue.

But I haven't had a test ride in 10 or more years, so don't know current practice.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 08:31 AM   #14
redtrummy

Dunno what counts as 'back in the day'

1967 and there abouts
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 01:40 PM   #15
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I've taken one or two bikes for a test ride before...

With new bikes the main dealers should have a demonstrator available to take out, but its not always their whole range. The bigger shop you go with the more likely they will have what you want. I was in a main dealer just before Christmas with a mate and they had a demonstrator for the bike he was looking at that we'd be welcome to take out.
A lot of new bikes haven't been available at dealers recently of course because of supply problems - at least at Honda and Suzuki dealers I have called in at anyway.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 01:51 PM   #16
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Second hand places often don't service the bikes or check in the workshop them until they know they're sold, so won't let you ride them on a safety basis.
I would expect them to check all safety aspects of the bike at least (having said that a reputable dealer did send me out on a test ride on a bike with a broken clutch lever )before a test ride ,but yes, I don't think they usually service them until you have agreed to buy the bike.
I should think all dealers use their discretion with test rides, if they know you and you are a regular customer there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-03-22, 11:59 AM   #17
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
... if they know you and you are a regular customer there shouldn't be a problem.
Unfortunately, the issue with this is that it's likely the only time I would likely use a dealer is to purchase a bike. That doesn't happen very often. Since I generally do my own servicing, and parts come from a wide range of places, including mail order (also I get my MOTs done at a local place that doesn't do bike sales), I'm unlikely ever to become a known regular customer. I'm sure I'm not the only one like this.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 12:11 AM   #18
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Unfortunately, the issue with this is that it's likely the only time I would likely use a dealer is to purchase a bike. That doesn't happen very often. Since I generally do my own servicing, and parts come from a wide range of places, including mail order (also I get my MOTs done at a local place that doesn't do bike sales), I'm unlikely ever to become a known regular customer. I'm sure I'm not the only one like this.
I suppose it depends how often you change bikes. probably not the best thing to do but I have tended to change bikes fairly often about every 2 years ,sometimes longer ,sometimes shorter ,and used one particular dealer many times.
Old 05-03-22, 03:26 PM   #19
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I suppose it depends how often you change bikes. probably not the best thing to do but I have tended to change bikes fairly often about every 2 years ,sometimes longer ,sometimes shorter ,and used one particular dealer many times.
Yes, you're quite right, of course, it depends.

I accept I am probably far from the norm (expecially the norm the sales-led manufacturers/dealers would like): I've tended to change bikes about once a decade on average - I'm a serial long-termer, though admittedly some of that is due to money limitations rather than personal desire! But thanks to good friends etc. I've ridden many more than I've owned so I don't feel like I'm missing out.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 10:03 PM   #20
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Yes, you're quite right, of course, it depends.

I accept I am probably far from the norm (expecially the norm the sales-led manufacturers/dealers would like): I've tended to change bikes about once a decade on average - I'm a serial long-termer, though admittedly some of that is due to money limitations rather than personal desire! But thanks to good friends etc. I've ridden many more than I've owned so I don't feel like I'm missing out.
I couldn't really afford it but I have usually found there was something about a bike that annoyed me and I needed to change or I felt the mileage was building up too far.