SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-07-21, 06:13 PM   #9811
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Hope you all get well soon, John.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 07:12 PM   #9812
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

GWS John. Sucks contracting it after being jabbed but I have a feeling it will be the same for a lot of people when everyone thinks they can do what they like after the 19th.
Old 08-07-21, 07:24 PM   #9813
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Bugger, hope you and all yours have a speedy recovery John.

Martin, fingers crossed the test is a negative result.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 07:51 PM   #9814
Seeker
Mega Poster

I think this merits more than just a casual "gripe of the day".
I hope it all clears up quickly for you and yours.
Old 08-07-21, 09:57 PM   #9815
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
GWS John. Sucks contracting it after being jabbed but I have a feeling it will be the same for a lot of people when everyone thinks they can do what they like after the 19th.
Best wishes to anybody who gets Covid ,and yes, abandoning all precautions after 19th is a recipe for disaster. Of course all restrictions can't go on indefinitely but some could carry on such as wearing masks in some public places such as buses, trains, having hand sanitiser in shops and cafes etc ,as examples.
People have a choice whether to go into places such as pubs etc but should still be protected in public places where they are obliged to go.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:27 PM   #9816
svenrico

Newly surfaced road with loads of loose gravel,20mph max speed signs, slowed down but still riding at about 28mph near to centre of road to avoid riding in thick strip of gravel ,see car coming up behind ,doesn't slow down and passes me close so I give a good blast on horn. He just accelerates away giving some hand gesture for good measure. Ignorant ,inconsiderate barstard.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 12:33 PM   #9817
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I'm still alive, thank you all for your concern. I can finally spend more than 10 minutes away from a box of tissues.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-21, 12:52 PM   #9818
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I see on news today that they have been pulling down statues of Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria due to some past injustice done to children in Roman Catholic run schools in Canada ! Didn't catch all the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
MORONS..... do they not know that Elizabeth and Victoria were Protestants.. unless its lizzy the II then this happened hundreds of years ago when children were used as slave labour so you can blame everyone.

these people need to get a furkin grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Absolutely, Roman Catholic schools all over the world have mistreated kids put into their care for centuries, nothing to do with Empire and Royal Family. These protestors are first class muppets with no grasp of history, but very loud and so sure of themselves and 'their truth'. Twitter is an internet playground for idiots....
I think it was more than just the Catholic church involved with the residential schools. Christian churches would probably be a more accurate representation (though I think maybe the schools that made the news recently happened to be Catholic). This ran from the early 1800's, up until the late 1990s.

There is absolutely no question about the impact the residential school system (and numerous other wide-spread injustices, both historical and recent) had, and continues to have, on Canadian aboriginal communities (my wife can attest to that, having worked in/with those communities). It was a conscious effort to wipe out an entire collection of cultures, languages, and identity.

I don't necessarily agree with tearing down statues (though I can't say I'd miss them a lot either), but I absolutely wouldn't deny these communities their right to be angry/outraged by these most recent revelations, and deeply offended by any symbols representing the people responsible, or colonialism in general. I certainly wouldn't characterise them as muppets, idiots, or needing to get a grip.

Walk a mile in someone else's shoes...
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 01:31 PM   #9819
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
I think it was more than just the Catholic church involved with the residential schools. Christian churches would probably be a more accurate representation (though I think maybe the schools that made the news recently happened to be Catholic). This ran from the early 1800's, up until the late 1990s.

There is absolutely no question about the impact the residential school system (and numerous other wide-spread injustices, both historical and recent) had, and continues to have, on Canadian aboriginal communities (my wife can attest to that, having worked in/with those communities). It was a conscious effort to wipe out an entire collection of cultures, languages, and identity.

I don't necessarily agree with tearing down statues (though I can't say I'd miss them a lot either), but I absolutely wouldn't deny these communities their right to be angry/outraged by these most recent revelations, and deeply offended by any symbols representing the people responsible, or colonialism in general. I certainly wouldn't characterise them as muppets, idiots, or needing to get a grip.

Walk a mile in someone else's shoes...
Absolutely, well said.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 01:50 PM   #9820
SV650rules
Mega Poster

All this 'first people' thing has one big flaw. Many generations of tribes invaded other tribes and enslaved them before Britain went anywhere near those countries. As for slavery, the Africans and Arabs started it, the Africans took slaves from other tribes long before white men became involved. Millions of Europeans were enslaved by Arabs and Barbary Corsairs in the Mediterranean, they even raided UK coast to take slaves, when are their countries going to recompense UK families for their taken people.

https://eutoday.net/news/security-de...ed-from-memory

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote