SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-07-21, 08:42 PM   #9881
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
just tried Almond milk, think it needs watered down though a its a bit thick.. i like it. big test will be my coffee in the morning. might have a cuppa t in a while to see how that goes.

ooohhh and it comes in cartons not plastic bottles which is another big plus in my book. why cant all milk come in cartons?

i dont know why i'm worrying as i only drink about 1lt of milk every 2-3 days.

I find Alpro unsweetened Soy the nearest to proper milk, some Soy will clump up in decaff coffee leaving a layer of porridge like scum on top - but Alpro ones don't. Good thing about Soy it does not go off like dairy milk, Alpro also make Soy pouring cream and Custard, which is very tasty...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-07-21 at 08:44 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 09:02 PM   #9882
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Tesco also do their own brand organic soya milk which is pretty decent.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 09:17 PM   #9883
Craig380
Mega Poster

My gripe: local A roads being 'surface dressed' (i.e. stone chippings) when they don't need it. A 4-mile stretch of the Cat & Fiddle, which was re-tarmac'd and dead smooth earlier this year, has been done, and of course the tar isn't setting because of the heat so the chippings are staying loose.

I'd love to know which f**kwit decided to resurface a road that had already had extensive resurfacing done in the past 6 months.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 09:39 PM   #9884
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Firstly can someone please tell me what the cigarette trick with nail polish is? Does it melt it or something???
Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I'd say the driver should carry a suitable container with them, rather than littering.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...ory-of-plastic
I agree to be honest, I get Bibio's points but even if it's not 'the worst thing' personally it's around (for a bit) an unsightly and I wouldn't do it in the same way I wouldn't go around dropping loads of pieces of paper and when I discard an apple core I will only do it if I can get an excellent shot into a hedge or other habitat - if it's going to be sat on tarmac I keep it til I'm home.

My bigger gripe with smoking when driving is - why the **** is it illegal to eat while driving if smoking isn't?! They both take one hand out of the equation and you know what, if I drop my marsbar (as long as there's less than half left!) I'm not going to risk my life and take my eyes off the road or pull a sudden manouvre to find it...if I drop a smoke I have to before the car is on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It's phrases like this which amuse our USA cousins.......

Last edited by Dave20046; 20-07-21 at 09:46 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 09:45 PM   #9885
Dave20046
Mega Poster

My gripe of the day is the state of retail shopping/my bad luck. Currently fitting a kitchen, bought an extractor fan - ( pain in the **** to fit )eventually got it hooked up, even got an electrician to commission it like a good boy ...it's dead. New one on it's way and another chunk of time gone.
Ordered worktops , they're warped - you could practically sit in them and use them as a canoe. Another waste of time while they exchange them.
Fit the sink and tap - it's a return - someone's crossthreaded everything on it with a thread.
Set the hob out ready for the gasman tomorrow - guess what it's a return and some ****'s broken one of the rings. Rebooked for next week and gasman's going to charge me idiot tax.

I feel like AdamEF's put a curse on me.
Old 21-07-21, 09:43 AM   #9886
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
New GOTD: In a management meeting at work discussing resourcing of work throughout the team, trying to share out too may projects, to hear the senior manager declare "we've just go to accept that we'll all be under pressure because of the workload".
Been there, got very fed up, left to go contracting and never looked back.

It was a fast growing IT company for me. I was never given time to learn the product features but was expected to micromanage the implementation resources... Too many customers to cope with because some idiot in HR had decided how much time we should spend on each based on what they'd paid - SO wrong. Especially as they were based on US experiences and it's just not the same in Europe (probably wrong in the US too). I persevered with 12 hour days and weekend email catchup for a year but in hindsight I should have left after a month or two. My mental health improved dramatically after going solo where I could do what I was comfortable with at a level I wanted to be at. Bit different now under IR35 but it's fixed term term payroll or umbrella firm now instead of Ltd company so not much different.

Don't let it get to you too much as that's a downward spiral health wise. If you cannot change the situation then get out of it. Go elsewhere or go solo if that's an option.
Old 21-07-21, 10:37 AM   #9887
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
My gripe of the day is the state of retail shopping/my bad luck. Currently fitting a kitchen, bought an extractor fan - ( pain in the **** to fit )eventually got it hooked up, even got an electrician to commission it like a good boy ...it's dead. New one on it's way and another chunk of time gone.
Ordered worktops , they're warped - you could practically sit in them and use them as a canoe. Another waste of time while they exchange them.
Fit the sink and tap - it's a return - someone's crossthreaded everything on it with a thread.
Set the hob out ready for the gasman tomorrow - guess what it's a return and some ****'s broken one of the rings. Rebooked for next week and gasman's going to charge me idiot tax.

I feel like AdamEF's put a curse on me.
its the same all over. there are no new items being shipped at the moment so supply is limited to what is on the shelf.. take it or leave it is pretty much the norm for DIY'rs.

oohh and to your answer about nail polish remover (acetate) and fag buts. party trick was to take the "cork" looking paper off the filter place the filter in a girls hand then tell them to make a loose fist and pour in a little acetate in the gap then tell them to shake their fist up and down then open their hand. yes it looks like man juice
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-21, 03:22 PM   #9888
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its the same all over. there are no new items being shipped at the moment so supply is limited to what is on the shelf.. take it or leave it is pretty much the norm for DIY'rs.

oohh and to your answer about nail polish remover (acetate) and fag buts. party trick was to take the "cork" looking paper off the filter place the filter in a girls hand then tell them to make a loose fist and pour in a little acetate in the gap then tell them to shake their fist up and down then open their hand. yes it looks like man juice
Haha that is not what I was expecting! Sounds like Immanicure conception.
Old 21-07-21, 10:11 PM   #9889
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Been there, got very fed up, left to go contracting and never looked back.

It was a fast growing IT company for me. I was never given time to learn the product features but was expected to micromanage the implementation resources... Too many customers to cope with because some idiot in HR had decided how much time we should spend on each based on what they'd paid - SO wrong. Especially as they were based on US experiences and it's just not the same in Europe (probably wrong in the US too). I persevered with 12 hour days and weekend email catchup for a year but in hindsight I should have left after a month or two. My mental health improved dramatically after going solo where I could do what I was comfortable with at a level I wanted to be at. Bit different now under IR35 but it's fixed term term payroll or umbrella firm now instead of Ltd company so not much different.

Don't let it get to you too much as that's a downward spiral health wise. If you cannot change the situation then get out of it. Go elsewhere or go solo if that's an option.
Whatever happened to the increased leisure time they predicted for the future in the 1960's ?! I did have some periods of 3 day working weeks, but on 3 days pay, and increased workload in later years !
Thank god I am retired.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 12:37 PM   #9890
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Very dodgy Hermes delivery driver. Eventually turned up with a parcel that they "tried to deliver yesterday", but "no one was home" (we were home, all day in the garden at the front of the house, where they would have delivered to) and then supposedly delivered successfully today, again when were were home but "left it in a safe place", even though we were home? No sign of it and the proof photo (blurry non descript pic of a bit of a plastic bag with no identifying surroundings or text on it) from yesterdays failed attempt was sent through again today as proof of delivery. Again, with no clue as to location, where the safe place is or identifying marks on the packet or in photo. No sign of it anywhere in the garden, in the bushes, in the bin (yes they've left things in there before now!)

A long winded waste of time trying to contact Hermes and something must have got through and they must have contacted her to ask about it as she just turned up very sheepish and apologetic saying it must have got lost in the van. Why was it marked as delivered then? Why had we not seen her on each of the delivery visits? Because she'd never been here I'm guessing. I imagine it's a quite common practice... put a few things aside and if they slip through the net then keep them? I've had a few other Hermes deliveries I've never seen too in the past.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote