SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-06, 10:24 PM   #1
jenni

Default getting heated grips off -more help please!!

yep, you read it right!

the oxford grips on my bikes have decided to stop working just when the weather gets cold

can't be arsed working out whats wrong with them, yes ive checked the fuse.

so i'm gonna get rid and replace them with daytonas instead

the lhs grip is not glued on but the throttle side is glued on.

Anyone got any advice on how to remove the grips as they are quite a bit thicker than standard

stanley knife? glue remover?

cheers
Old 04-12-06, 10:31 PM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Evening.
I find that sliding something long and thin, like an old screwdriver between the grip and the bars works pretty well, then get some silicone lube, wd40 or similar in there, and work the long thingy around the grip whilst twisting the grip with ones other hand.
Be carefull when doing the throttle side as it is quite easy to break the twistgrip itself.

Cheers.
Old 04-12-06, 10:32 PM   #3
thor

I fixed my heated grips. Turned out that the problem was the control box - rusted right through. Maybe a quick couple of minutes would diagnose the issue and then you can buy another box from oxford? You never know, some helpful chap from here might just give you one?

Cheers Northy!
Old 04-12-06, 10:44 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I'd give you one any time But tragically, I gave Thor one and he never gave me one back.

That's enough of that, I reckon. But he's right, probably the control boxm they're rubbish. If you do want to remove them, well, depends how much glue you used. I find just giving them a really strong twist usually does the trick- but be careful, if you still use the wee plsatic retainer on the throttle side it might break off, and that's quite annoying.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 10:47 PM   #5
jenni

thanks for the advice so far.....

it wouldn't surprise me if it was the control box cos it lights up, but the grips dont get hot... best way of working it out?
Old 04-12-06, 10:50 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

You can just bypass the control box, and wire the grips straight to the terminals, the Oxford grips are very simple unlike the Hondas. That'll tell you for sure, but the odds of them both breaking down at the same time are very slim, so it'll be the box, I bet you a pound.

I discarded the box entirely (that's how Thor got it!) and replaced it with a simple switch and light from Halfords, home of top quality motoring accessories But I think some people find that too unsubtle. I always had mine full on, or off, so the lack of control's irrelevant.
Old 04-12-06, 11:16 PM   #7
Fearg

Quote:
it wouldn't surprise me if it was the control box cos it lights up, but the grips dont get hot... best way of working it out?
If you have a simple multi-meter you can check the resistance of the grips and the 12v supply from the control box quite easily.

If you disconnect the grips from the control box check you hav 12v DC coming out with it switched on (with ignition on if wired through switched supply)

If you have got 12V there then check resistance of the grips, select ohms scale on the multi-meter and do a quick continuity check. Both grips should have the same resistance otherwise they won't heat evenly.

Finallt check the connectors themselves for corrsion or broken wires.

Hope this makes sense

Good luck
Old 05-12-06, 07:50 AM   #8

I believe it is wired into the switched side of the bikes circuit, so technically if you want them on full all the time i guess you can bypass the control box.

However if its less than a year since they went on, will the control box not still be under warranty? might be worth giving them a call.
Old 05-12-06, 08:59 AM   #9
thor

Oxford don't deal with warranty claims direct, you have to take it back to retailer where you got it. One of reasons I didn't do that.
Old 05-12-06, 10:56 AM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Not my experience with Oxford... Though it was quite hard to find someone who could help, once i did I got great service from them. My immobiliser was ages out of warranty but they still provided replacement parts free of charge, and faster than most companies would if I was paying for it.