SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-06-07, 09:49 PM   #21
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: How Comfy is your seat?

My standard pointy seat starts to get unbearable at about 120/130 miles, oddly about the same amount of miles I get to a tank
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 04:31 AM   #22
xianbei

I'm looking to make the passenger's ride more comfy on my curvy '01. Any recommendations?
Old 12-08-07, 05:19 AM   #23
derry163

I got sore after about 1/2 hr on my pointy...Bought a Sargent seat and can now ride all day.

You can buy just buy the "Atomic foam" from Sargent to make your passenger seat more friendly xianbei. Or you can send it to them if you don't want to bother with it yourself.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
Old 12-08-07, 06:26 AM   #24
danf1234

Can't recommend the Bagster Seatster enough. Expensive, but worth the money.
Old 12-08-07, 06:57 AM   #25
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
My seat is very comfy but its on a GSXR K2

The SV used to give me **** ache big stylie on straight runs as it was thick but not that wide, I think that's why I like to let my backside slide off the seat whenever a see so much of a slight kink in the road let alone a hairpin
I can see exactly where you're coming from here. My GSXR1000 K1 seat was wonderful, you could spend all day on that bike and feel as fresh as a daisy - it actually made a really good sports-tourer.

Somehow I get the feeling my SV is going to be a different matter. I'm just about to set off on a 100 mile trip to Matlock Bath. I don't fancy my chances of getting there in one hit without stopping to give my 'tocks a bit of a break.
Old 12-08-07, 11:29 AM   #26
embee
Mega Poster

A friend had his curvy seat done by http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/ with a gel pad and reshaping and it was a good improvement over std.

I reshaped mine to the same profile, but without the pad, and I found it just as good. Basically scoop out about 1" in the middle (looking from the side) while leaving the front and rear edges where they are.

Having said that, I think there's a lot of the lardy factor involved in seat comfort. I've a Deauville, and everyone says how comfy the seats are, but I didn't find it that good. I must have tried 7 or 8 different alterations so far, including gel pad and currently pincore latex foam, and it's better but still not brilliant, but I've come to the conclusion that the problem is inside my trousers rather than with the seat! Just not enough internal padding.
Old 12-08-07, 11:59 AM   #27
Pedrosa

Despite not having the derrier of an Italian grandmother I have never had any issues with aching butt when riding any bike? Gel seats are for pussy's in my personal opinion! Not sure if I get away with it due to my riding style which does see me move around on the bike a lot in the curvy stuff?

However my knees are a different subject altogether,( a legacy from several operations over the years following sporting injuries.) I often have to step off the bike quite gingerly and proceed with care for the first few steps.
Old 12-08-07, 12:29 PM   #28
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
Can't recommend the Bagster Seatster enough. Expensive, but worth the money.
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 05:16 PM   #29
Lozzo

Well, I'm home after a 360 mile day, and I found the K3 seat fine. The suspension is another matter though. Christ, this thing handles like a pregnant hippo on roller skates.
Old 12-08-07, 05:25 PM   #30
Keith1983

I have had a curvy with a standard seat and now have a pointy with a standard seat. The curvy's are much more comfortable in my opinion. I hear some people saying a lardier **** is the way forward but what about those of us with the pert sculpted from granite type arses? lol.