SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-07, 07:01 PM   #1
djt_spurs

Default Im after a new leather jacket...

After some great help with the helmet post I'm after similar advice on a new jacket now please!!!!
Old 02-07-07, 07:06 PM   #2
Biker_Billy

Default Re: Im after a new leather jacket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt_spurs View Post
After some great help with the helmet post I'm after similar advice on a new jacket now please!!!!
Depends what you want it for mate...and how big your budget is...

I found that after looking around for ages that its best to get your second choice jacket that you can try on in a shop and fits, rather than looking for the best looking / best price on the net and it not fitting...I also found that I needed to try 2 sizes on, and sit on a bike to make sure the fit was ok - bit hard to do when buying blind!

Also consider if you are going to wear a back protector - I needed the next size up with mine, and I have ape like arms, so some jackets were just too short!

Good luck!! and also have a look at the Ride best buys for a good indication of quality.
Old 02-07-07, 07:21 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, budget's needed. Also usage- will you be commuting, weekend warrioring, touring? Different needs for different uses.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 07:42 PM   #4
Endellion

I have just bought an Icon jacket and its V nice (american difficult to get here cheap), set yourself a budget, do you want it over a back protector (i use one) must it have armour at shoulders/elbows, removeable liner, lots of pockets? Look good or more functional?
Old 02-07-07, 07:44 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Alpinestars

Matt
Old 02-07-07, 07:45 PM   #6
djt_spurs

Well I have a textile jacket at the mo and want a leather one also! As for usage it will vary I guess. Budget is probably £200 - £250.
I am planning to try a few on just cant find any I like at the mo!!!
Old 02-07-07, 07:46 PM   #7
djt_spurs

alpine260.jpg

I like this one I think! In blue to match my baby!
Old 02-07-07, 07:59 PM   #8
Endellion

I have a Furygan textile, they do tasty Leather jackets too but the alpinestars one you're looking at I think I've tried on, its v nice, looks good in blue, a big bit of white which improves your visability to others too (thats the driving instructor part of me talking)
Old 02-07-07, 08:06 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

I'm a big fan of my Furygan Oyester, to the point that I don't mind that it no longer fits me quite right (I grew outwards in the shoulder a little after spending 4 months on crutches!) Very well made, I've crash tested it once and it did brilliantly, didn't just protect but also survived very well. My Frank Thomas stuff was only lightly dyed so as soon as it abrades you get grey patches, the Furygan leather is deeply dyed so scratches don't go through the colour. It's a bit hot for summer, but fairly waterproof (OK, not as waterproof as an unvented jacket really should be, but not bad) and all-day comfy. With the armour out I wear it as a jacket when I'm out. But it was expensive, £240 slightly used but £275 or so new. The arms are a bit short, that's my only beef.

Also apparently fireproof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPG_0gNnYEU
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 08:25 PM   #10
Lozzo

I'd go with Northwind's advice and buy Furygan. I certainly wouldn't touch anything from any Italian manufacturer..sorry Alpinestarshero, but it ain't as good as you think it is, despite the price.

This advice comes free from someone who has just ended nearly 10 years working in the motorcycle clothing wholesale trade and before that around 12 years in the leather hides and car trim business. I know leather.