SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-04-16, 04:16 PM   #351
AlexAdams

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vysie View Post
Will be doing this on my 07 plate over next few days as iv noticed its jerky at low revs
If you can it's best to balance your throttle bodies before adjusting the TPS and setting the idle.
Old 02-04-16, 04:41 PM   #352
DomP

I did mine a few months ago but I think I need to set it just a bit lower.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 07:06 PM   #353
druegeme

Still new to the SV, I was having a hard time managing the bike at low revs. Pillion rider complained and helmets clacked. Also I found engine braking a bit over-the-top. Especially riding downhill on a small twisty mountain back road at low speed was pretty awful.

Saturday night I decided to do the TPS adjustment. Got it done pretty quick thanks to the excellent information in this thread. Wow, what a difference it made. NOW we are talking- this is how I expect a bike to behave.

650,000 thanks to coombest who started this thread!

----

A couple of notes and thoughts-
Mine's ’07 with 2800 miles on it. So we’re talking auto idle adjustment and only one screw on top of TPS.

After reading the entire thread I noted a couple of things to look out for:

1- The right torx bit (#25 security with hole in the middle and six teeth) is a must
2- Engine needs to be warmed up properly
3- Plan for tiny tiny adjustments
4- Shoot for ‘-‘ going from middle to up as soon as possible over idle, ideally when just touching the throttle

Taking care of 1 and 2 simultaneously I rode to local hardware store and picked up a set of torx security bits for ten bucks. Back home, before even taking the panels off and popping the tank, I plugged in the ‘dealer mode tool’ (fabricated of paper clip and duct tape for isolation) and started it back up. ‘-‘ in middle at idle, as it should be. Going up somewhere between 3000-4000, but more on the 4000 side. Bingo- time to get to work!

Panels and seat off, tank up, located TPS, as expected only one screw on top. Nicely marked from factory with white paint. Screw came loose very easily. Loosened two turns left. Keeping in mind (3), very carefully turned the TPS about a millimeter left and slightly tightened the screw one turn. This was with the engine off but I just wanted check things out first.

Started it up, idling fine, ‘-‘ still in middle. Touched the throttle, and ‘-‘ moves up just over 1450 or so. Right on the money! Carefully tightened the screw, half a turn more than what it was, while carefully holding TPS in place with left hand. Thumbed it once more, and yes, right there the C-line moves up as soon as I touch the gas. Awesome. Everything back together in less than 15 minutes.

Which brings me to the last point. ‘Why is this so, and is it an adjustment or a mod?’, as so many have asked. The prevalent theory seems to be that they actually set it correctly at the factory but it just runs out of adjustment and needs to be re-adjusted.

I have a hard time believing that, given that most people see the FI switching maps at 3-4k.

Also, looking at the procedure in Suzi maintenance manual, it only asks for the ‘-‘ to be in middle at idle but not checking when it actually moves up. So by the official procedure my bike (and many others) would actually check out correctly prior to the adjustment. I therefore assume that's how they set it in the factory.

Someone suggested this might be intentional in order to pass emission requirements. That seems to make more sense. Thinking of the VW TDI deal here in the US, manufacturers seem to get more or less creative, with Suzuki apparently staying on the lawful side and leaving it up to owner's discretion to make adjustments.

In any case, if you haven’t done this yet I would highly recommend that you get this done. Chances are very good that 20 minutes of your time greatly improve the bike.

Greetings from San Jose California.
druegeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 05:53 AM   #354
Sentinel

I'm looking forward to doing this. I checked mine, and it doesn't move to the top until the revs go over 2500 RPM. I'm going to sync the throttle bodies first.
Old 14-05-16, 04:48 PM   #355
tom_e

Done this this afternoon, nearly lost my rag and set light to the bike to be honest.

Managed it in the end though, only took 1 maybe 2mm of movement to bring it down from 3k rpm to 1.5k.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-16, 10:25 PM   #356
DomP

Makes all the difference on slow maneuvers
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-16, 06:34 PM   #357
Paulwind

Finally did mine today. What a difference! As long as you have the t25 torx bit and a 1/4 inch drive it's quite easy. Took me about half an hour, but I got lucky and only made two movements anti clock wise to get it down from 4000 to 1500. Also adjusted throttle cables and tickover before doing this. So much smoother low revs, and through the gears in traffic - feels like a different engine. Thank you so much Coombest for such a great walk-through.
Cheers
Paulwind
Old 27-08-16, 04:36 AM   #358
danp203

I just had to give my gratitude to OP, the throttle touchiness was so bad on my bike that I was thinking of selling it and getting something else, figuring that's just how the bike is. Googled it, found this thread, did the adjustment and it's smooth as silk now! Actually feels safe to ride and has increased my confidence tenfold on it! Thanks OP!
Old 26-09-16, 06:48 PM   #359
Markylemin

I had a go adjusting my 2003 pointy today. Much smoother at low revs , especially (as has been said by others) mini roundabouts.
Mine was not cutting in until just over 4k but managed to get it down to about 1700 without causing idle lumpiness.
Huge thanks to the OP. Let's hope my Mrs notices an improvement when on the back.
Old 22-10-16, 08:42 AM   #360
bristolboy

i cant seem to get mine below 3000 was initially 4200 is, i cant seem to move the sensor anymore in the direction i want to go? im on a K8, am i doing something wrong?