SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-03-08, 01:46 PM   #1
krhall

Default Motivation - HELP!!!

This is ridiculous! I am less than 5 weeks to the marathon and cannot stop getting niggly little injuries which are really draining my motivation.

I need help badly.

The thing is the fundraising is going well so that should be helping me, but in a way that is making me feel the pressure worse.

Arghhhhhhhh!
Old 07-03-08, 02:08 PM   #2
Ed

Default Re: Motivation - HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
This is ridiculous! I am less than 5 weeks to the marathon and cannot stop getting niggly little injuries which are really draining my motivation.

I need help badly.

The thing is the fundraising is going well so that should be helping me, but in a way that is making me feel the pressure worse.

Arghhhhhhhh!
Deep breath - and RELAX!!!!! Are you overdoing things? It won't hurt if you have an additional rest day. You might be pushing yourself too hard. So often people say 'listen to your body' but my body never talks to me, so you have to be one step ahead and spot problems before they come. if I were you I'd have a break. Don't feel guilty, as long as you maintain the long runs you will do great On motivation - well imagine that the race is tomorrow. Imagine yourself on the start line. And think of what it will feel like to finish. You must think 'I can do this. I've trained for this. I am getting a medal. I am going home with some hardware'.

You, my friend, will walk it. So to speak
Old 07-03-08, 02:20 PM   #3
mister c
Mega Poster

Get yourself motivated, or I'll send this guy round

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-c45KgHYJ7M&feature=related

Good luck with the training
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 02:46 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

What Ed says take a duvet day, do something thats nothing to do with training or anything at all.

I'm training for a 91 mile cycle ride in May, I make sure I have one rest day a week and on that day I do what I like and I eat what I like and I dont feel guilty about it.

Just relax have a break and then go forward again. You'll be fine.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 02:51 PM   #5
krhall

Ed - I did an 18.5 miler before I got injured the first time and had to take 2 weeks off.

I also did 15 miles on Sunday, is an 18.5 in the bag enough for a marathon?
Old 07-03-08, 10:07 PM   #6
Ed

Kev - 18.5 miles - I'm no expert so treat my views with contempt, but I would aim for 20. Beginning with that magic '2', it's somehow a watershed.

This is one of my most treasured possessions. I worked bloody hard for it for nearly two years, the heat on the day nearly wrecked everything as it was 22 - 23C that day. I got it in 3 hours 19 minutes. I had a lot more time to train than I do now!!! And you will get one of these, except it will say 2008 rather than 2003.

You will get one, even if you finish on your hands and knees, you will go home with some hardware.

OK, here it is.

Last edited by Ed; 07-03-08 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 12:39 AM   #7
tomjones2

About the injuries, how much are you streching before and after. I no expert but I have started riding to work which is a 22 mile round trip in london, my knees started to really hurt until I tried a new strech and things are felling so much better know. I am also fully addicted to the cardio, I have to make myself takes days off when I need the energy to do other things.

Fizz are you doing the 91 miles in one day? Sound alot, I am just building up and cycling in london is a bit werid, a lot of sprint starts and not many long endurance runs. I'm lucky if I am cycling for more than 10 minutes before coming to a major set of traffic light where you have to stop.
Old 09-03-08, 07:01 PM   #8
krhall

That is a beautiful thing Ed - Managed to grind out a 20.2 miler today and am happier that I did, it was a mental barrier for me and one that needed to be gone prior to the marathon. What's more somehow I did it in 3:00:00, spot on 3 hours which is quicker than I could possibly have imagined.

Now the trick will be to stay injury free for the next few weeks, that is my last long run!
Old 09-03-08, 07:12 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2 View Post
Fizz are you doing the 91 miles in one day? Sound alot, I am just building up and cycling in london is a bit werid, a lot of sprint starts and not many long endurance runs. I'm lucky if I am cycling for more than 10 minutes before coming to a major set of traffic light where you have to stop.
Yep 91 miles in day. Been out this morning racking up the training miles I'm hoping to do it in about 6 hrs ish..

Urgh cycling in London no thanks, you're a brave man.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 07:31 PM   #10
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
That is a beautiful thing Ed - Managed to grind out a 20.2 miler today and am happier that I did, it was a mental barrier for me and one that needed to be gone prior to the marathon. What's more somehow I did it in 3:00:00, spot on 3 hours which is quicker than I could possibly have imagined.

Now the trick will be to stay injury free for the next few weeks, that is my last long run!
good work