SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-12-07, 09:35 AM   #1
ELR4ever

Default Clutch replacement, easy enough?

'99 SV650N, I'm afraid I may have to replace the clutch after the hols. Can anyone shine some light on how difficult a job it is? Any specialty tools needed? Also, is it just the plates you replace? Any typical prices to expect for parts?

Cheers -Dave
Old 21-12-07, 09:53 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Clutch replacement, easy enough?

Im not sure of this, i dont think it would be too difficult as the clutch its quite easy to get too. Have you got a haynes manual for your SV? That will tell you everything you need to know

Matt
Old 21-12-07, 10:06 AM   #3
ELR4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Im not sure of this, i dont think it would be too difficult as the clutch its quite easy to get too. Have you got a haynes manual for your SV? That will tell you everything you need to know

Matt

I do, but, it's at home and I'm at work (working very hard mind you). Just thinking about tackling this one. Mostly, I need to find out if I need to replace it. cheers -D
Old 21-12-07, 10:26 AM   #4
zadar

it is actually really easy.you just have to take off clutch cover(plastic one)and than 6 10mm bolts holding springs.dental picks come handy to pull clutch plates out.
Old 21-12-07, 11:58 AM   #5
Stig

There is a special tool required to hold the clutch and preventing it from rotating whilst undoing the central bolt. However, with careful manipulation of a strong piece of wood, this can be overcome without the tool.
Old 21-12-07, 12:18 PM   #6
YZEtc

I believe that if you merely need to repair a slipping clutch by just replacing the thrashed plated and springs, you don't even need to remove the big nut in the center of the clutch - just the pressure plate that's held on by the small bolts/springs.

If you've got a 1999 model, I say that you've got no excuse at all not to dig in and do this yourself because your bike has what guys on motocross bikes would call a quick-release clutch cover (you don't have to remove the entire right-hand crankcase cover - just the bolts holding on the circular clutch cover).

I say this job is surprisingly easy because once you remove that clutch cover, those little itty-bitty bolts and springs are staring you in the face, just begging you to remove them with basic tools.

Last edited by YZEtc; 21-12-07 at 12:21 PM.
Old 21-12-07, 12:51 PM   #7
ELR4ever

Cool, sounds fair enough. Time for some more oily fun after the hols. Happy hols everyone.
Old 21-12-07, 01:21 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

What's wrong with yours?

As I understand it, slipping is the plates being knacked, grabbing is a notched basket.

The plates are really easy to swap, just cover off, take the bolts out (bit by bit, I wouldn't leave one in at full tension to avoid distorting anything) Then get in with a pick or a bit of bent wire and pull the pack out, repeat in reverse order

It's a good idea to smear the old ones with a bit of oil when you put them in.
Old 21-12-07, 01:33 PM   #9
Lozzo

Leave the new clutch plates to soak in clean new engine oil overnight before fitting them.
Old 21-12-07, 01:40 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
There is a special tool required to hold the clutch and preventing it from rotating whilst undoing the central bolt. However, with careful manipulation of a strong piece of wood, this can be overcome without the tool.
If you are only replacing the plates, then you dont need this Ape me old china.

DO NOT PUT THE BIKE ON A PADDOCK STAND, or else you will covered in oil. Its safe enough to replace the plates with the bike on its side stand (Unless the bik is lowered, then empty the engine oil to be on the safe side.

Now, dont buy EBC plates. I have in previous times said that the set i had put in where fine. They are not, they are crap. Go either OEM or Barnett as a matter of course. Neither are cheap (£150ish for the oem, and £100ish for the barnett, both including new steels)

Also check the steels very carefully. Put them all together and check to see if they are warped. If they are replace the lot.

Other than that, a cordless drill with a 10mm nut driver is handy for undoing the 6 bolts that hold the pressure plate on(or whatever its technical name is)

Also, one friction plate is different to the rest. i believe that this go on last.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote