SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 17-03-08, 11:21 AM   #1
600+

Default ZXR400 Track Bike

Might have a chance on buying a ZXR400 for ?500.

Needs new downpipes and end can and there is slight noise from the engine that can be sorted cheaply ( i know the problem).

Question is - any ideas what racing I can get involved with?

Thanks
Old 17-03-08, 11:44 AM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: ZXR400 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
Might have a chance on buying a ZXR400 for ?500.

Needs new downpipes and end can and there is slight noise from the engine that can be sorted cheaply ( i know the problem).

Question is - any ideas what racing I can get involved with?

Thanks
So you want to race it not just 'track' it right?

Is this a road bike or a ready built track bike? .. if it is a road bike, it'll cost you more than it is worth* to get it to track/race spec.

I'd advise against using it as a trackday bike, but if you want to race it, then pretty much any/every club has a 400 grid, if not their own grid, one they can run in.

*you could buy a ready-made package for less.
Old 17-03-08, 11:47 AM   #3
metalmonkey

http://www.motoforum.net/index.php?showtopic=24778

Something like that maybe? Look on motoforum there are always race bikes coming up for sale.
Old 17-03-08, 11:48 AM   #4
600+

erm - well I would like to track it and if possible race it

could u point me to the direction of those ready made packages? if they are cheaper i might as well track one of those
Old 17-03-08, 11:53 AM   #5
sv650k4

it depens how well you want 2 prepair it.you could just stick a set of race body work on it for around ?150 and you will beable 2 race or do trackdays on it then or on the other hand you could spend loads and fully race prepair it which then you would be better just buying a full race bike.

is the bike an H model or an L model?
Old 17-03-08, 11:54 AM   #6
metalmonkey

www.motofourm.net look in there under race bikes for sale.....

But as the engine are tuned they are likely to go bang and will need rebuilding, refresh ect though I have never had a 400. I'm sure someone here will beable to give you more info.

Also post on motofourm its for club racing, so people in that class could give you advice. Be ready to spend everything you go as well.
Old 17-03-08, 11:57 AM   #7
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650k4 View Post
it depens how well you want 2 prepair it.you could just stick a set of race body work on it for around ?150 and you will beable 2 race or do trackdays on it then or on the other hand you could spend loads and fully race prepair it which then you would be better just buying a full race bike.

is the bike an H model or an L model?
OK from looking at the 400L that is being sold at motoforum I don't think I would spend that much on it.

I was looking at spending ?500 to buy it, then another ?150 for the exhaust plus race fairing. I would like to track it and if poss race it just for the experience.

It's an L model
Old 17-03-08, 11:58 AM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
could u point me to the direction of those ready made packages? if they are cheaper i might as well track one of those
You got a computer do it yaseln

Point is, unless you source all the required race kit 2nd hand at good prices too (unlikely), to get a 'road' bike up to a competitive 400cc race bike spec using new parts and paying a tuner will cost you more than buying one that is already done ?

As for track bike, bearing in mind everything else out there is 600+cc why would you trackday a 400? Or are you a masochist like me that went for an SV trackbike!?!?
Old 17-03-08, 12:01 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
OK from looking at the 400L that is being sold at motoforum I don't think I would spend that much on it.

I was looking at spending ?500 to buy it, then another ?150 for the exhaust plus race fairing. I would like to track it and if poss race it just for the experience.

It's an L model
If you notice, that bike never sold ... not even for ?1500 on ebay, let alone ~?2.3k he original wanted!

If you just want a cheap trackday bike then ?650 and you are out there, then why not If you wanted to race it .. I don't think it is the most cost efective way of doign it!!
Old 17-03-08, 12:04 PM   #10
sv650k4

Quote:

It's an L model

if its only really experience your looking on the racing side then around the 300 quid mark would have it ready for racing.

but if you want 2 start doing engine tuneing,rear sets,rear shock,front forks and so on etc...you will be better just buying a race prepaired bike.