SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-04-08, 11:54 AM   #1
crankcase

Default smooth shifting

usualy when i shift i close the throttle,pull in clutch,shift,clutch out back onto throttle,most times it ends up being jerky,i let the clutch out quickly after shifting,practice makes perfect,can you give some ideas how to shift more smoothly
Old 26-04-08, 12:05 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: smooth shifting

Well I was told to apply a smallll amount of pressure just before i shift up; although, reading around suggests that this could cause damage (although, if you arn't too heavy then i dont think its too bad).

Also, you dont have to pull the clutch lever back to the bar; I tend to "dip" the clutch just so the drive to the rear wheel disengages, and snick the next gear home. You can do this very quick, and it gives a very smooth upshift.

Downshifting can be made smoother by blipping the throttle just before you re-engage the clutch (I tend to pull the clutch in, prod the lever down, then blip the throttle just before i let the clutch out again). Blipping while downshifting and braking involves a bit of practise, so go out and try it. First, just use the engine braking and downshift, then start to use the front brake - using two fingers on the brake lever might be better.

Going from 1st gear to second gear always needs a bit more of a poke than any other gear, since you gotta skip neutral, so bear this in mind

Matt
Old 26-04-08, 12:05 PM   #3
petevtwin650

1st thought is how many revs are you using before changing up?

Also try and do the change as one fluid movement and not a series of movements.

It could also possibly be a clutch lever freeplay issue too.

And you know to blip the throttle on down changes too?
Old 26-04-08, 03:46 PM   #4
pod

Shifting up , dont close the throttle too far, this causes a poor change and makes jerks.
Shifting down, blip the throttle as the clutch is pulled to match revs on the down change.

Older bikes like my BSA 650 need a more closed throttle on the up chane because of heavy flywheels.
The light crank of the SV650 slows down too much if the throttle is closed too far.
Cheers
Pod