SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 24-03-10, 10:41 AM   #21
Ed

Default Re: Any Constructive Comments Re. the Abersoch Rideout

Blimey that's along post above - need a day to read that!!!

The problem was that I knew the way as it's one of my fave rides and it's easy to overlook that even on a 1:1 for relatively short sections, the roads are unfamiliar to others, and people generally don't remember 'turn right here, turn left there, 2nd exit of the r/bout' etc. Also cos I know the route so well I tend to ride it fairly quick and as a result people got left behind.

So I freely accept that I cocked it up and for that I apologise.

I have no immediate plans to organise anything else but there may be a MM3 later in the summer, D/K yet, but if it happens I will make sure that it's done properly.
Old 24-03-10, 11:02 AM   #22
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hort5 View Post
indeed we are all adults but some adults like me don't know this stuff and would like to learn but tbh, by the sound of it from all of the above, a ride out doesn't sound fun
I never came on Sunday, so cant comment, but can wholeheartedly say the same as everybody else. Dont be put off by what is written here. I have been on & even arranged a rideout last year & loved them all. I have been to places that I have never been to before & didnt get lost once.
My Chippy run went a bit ti*s up because I didn't sort out TEC, or ask people to stop at junctions, but it did all fall into place when folk took it upon themselves to do it anyway.
So dont let it put you off & get yourself on some runs this year, you will love it.

On another note....... Where are the piccies? I want to see what I missed

Last edited by mister c; 24-03-10 at 11:04 AM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-10, 11:30 AM   #23
orose

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I think we should, the could be an uneven number of exits to a roundabout and what the leader considers as "straight" may not be what a rider further back in the group considers as straight.

The other thing I often do when leading, on large roundabouts, roundabouts with lots of exits, or roundabouts with foliage or another obstruction that you can't see over the top of, is drop a marker at the entrance to the roundabout who watches where I go and waves people in the general direction I have taken, and another marker at the exit to give a definitive direction.
Thats why I felt it should be highlighted as a possible variation amongst groups - some don't feel it is required, but they can say "stay on the same road" in their briefing instead of "go straight". Perhaps if you're doing marking, dropping the marker by the second roundabout sign and getting them to point their hand in the same direction as the exit may be clearer (backed up with an exit marker).
Old 24-03-10, 11:35 AM   #24
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
So I freely accept that I cocked it up and for that I apologise
We all cocked it up, there were quite a few experienced group riders there, not just you! One of us should have been saying, "Hang on a minute guys, what marker system are we using an who is TEC?". A question I didn't ask even after the issue before Bala.

Just 'cos you organised the date and the route, doesn't mean you suddenly become responsible for everything that happens on a rideout. Because most of us were comfortable with each other and knew the usual drill, and it was the first rideout of the year so we all needed reminding how it can fall apart, we just got complacent.
Old 24-03-10, 12:00 PM   #25
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

agree with Ollie..

systems vary

on some rideouts I know folk who if marking see the TEC and come out in front of them .. I have always let TEC go past and then the TEC slows up and lets me past them again.. keeping me in sight all the time.. so you overtake the TEC within 100 yards.. not always easy to pull out in front of TEC ..

but each to their own.. just needs verifying. easier if TEC has a High Vis on.. and TEC can slow enough to let you out I suppose.

other issue of marking is some folk dont feel competent in a group to mark a junction and then get back up in to the pack .. but this can be arranged prior to start with the more competent riders marking - similar to the AR ..

and yea maybe IMO roundabouts and straight ons should really be marked. not assumed
Old 24-03-10, 12:01 PM   #26
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR UKI (1) View Post
Definitely don't be put off or think ride outs aren't fun, they are immensely (sp!) fun. I would say as long as you go prepared with a map/description of the route and mindset to ride at a pace that you are comfortable with anyone can enjoy a ride out.

The comments made above about the TEC, marking etc are just tweaks that can be made for next time. Most, if not all the people on Sunday would have known the 'protocol', but as Christopher has said with it being the first real group ride of the season for a lot of the attendees and maybe an assumption on all parts that people knew who was doing what it fell down slightly. It certainly didn't spoil the day though I'm sure (for me it definitely didn't).

I can't speak for everyone (but i'm sure he covered everyone), but Ed did provide a 1-1 description of the next leg at every stop. I particularly remember his and Skeetly's comments of the long left hander at the top of the lake before Trawsfynnd before we left Bala. What a corner that is

Bloody Hell paul.. I have never known you to be articulate..
Old 24-03-10, 12:45 PM   #27
orose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post
on some rideouts I know folk who if marking see the TEC and come out in front of them .. I have always let TEC go past and then the TEC slows up and lets me past them again.. keeping me in sight all the time.. so you overtake the TEC within 100 yards.. not always easy to pull out in front of TEC ..
We're probably talking about the same event from Ralphs GM2 ride up, where I'm used to the depart in front method and you expected to be passed after - as a result, I wasn't certain that you were TEC (despite being told), and was slightly concerned that my departure afterwards might have lost someone.
Old 24-03-10, 01:11 PM   #28
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
We're probably talking about the same event from Ralphs GM2 ride up.
That started off a shambles too. There was only about 6 or so bikes after Burnley, and I assumed every one would use the man in the mirrors system above (which I know as the drop off system, often confused with the second man drop off system) and somebody didn't mark, the next rider turned the wrong way. We waited for ages, the doubled back looking, and eventually all found each other at Hawes.
Old 24-03-10, 02:28 PM   #29
orose

I joined it at Hawes, so I don't know about the bit you're talking about. It does illustrate the need for a briefing though, as it sounds like you were running a different system to what others were expecting.

I tend to think of the man in mirrors system as a guideline to assist with another system like second man, to try and minimise the need for markers. Its a natural way to work amongst a group of similarly paced mates, but becomes difficult to manage outside of that.
Old 24-03-10, 02:34 PM   #30
christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
We all cocked it up, there were quite a few experienced group riders there, not just you! One of us should have been saying, "Hang on a minute guys, what marker system are we using an who is TEC?". A question I didn't ask even after the issue before Bala.

Just 'cos you organised the date and the route, doesn't mean you suddenly become responsible for everything that happens on a rideout.
Agreed. In hindsight quite a few of us (me included) should have tried to have done something about it.

For me having not ridden in a group of that size for close to 6 months it was a good reminder of what should be done and how important it is to make sure there is a system in place and a nominated TEC. After riding solo or with 1 or 2 others it was a wake up call for future rides.

For everyone, don't let this put you off joining a ride whether it's your 1st or 100th time out in a group, they're a great day out with brilliant people.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote