SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 24-03-10, 02:43 PM   #31
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Default Re: Any Constructive Comments Re. the Abersoch Rideout

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
I've been on a rideout before where the marker system broke down and for abot 45 mins I was sat marking a junction somewhere in Lincolnshire without a clue of the rest of the route! Luckily another marker had given up on their junction, found me and knew the way to the end point where we met up with everyone else.

Lincolnshire eh?

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-10, 02:43 PM   #32
slark01

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
For everyone, don't let this put you off joining a ride whether it's your 1st or 100th time out in a group, they're a great day out with brilliant people.
Yep, Yep, Yep.

Ste.
Old 24-03-10, 02:53 PM   #33
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hort5 View Post
where's the sticky thread with the rules of ride outs, unwritten or otherwise? (and if unwritten can someone write them please)
These are some pointers we often use

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Newbies, riders still getting their confidence back, will be made to feel welcome. Just remember to these rules:

Rideout tips and ideas

Introduce yourself to the ride organiser and swap mobile numbers with him and at least 1 other participant

Full tank of gas or as near as is practically possible.

Tyre pressures checked and in good condition.

Breakdown cover. Check if your bike is covered in the event of an accident or breakdown. Full recovery is best. And make sure you have contact numbers for them.

ICE (In case of emergency numbers) These should be in your phone under that heading. Should someone need to be contacted on your behalf.

Map. If you haven't got proper ones then rip out the page(s) of an old map book, or get a photocopy, or print one off the internet. It is NOT the responsibility of the organiser to get you home.

Waterproofs. Just because it's sunny doesn't mean it's gonna stay so.

If you're using a dark visor, bring your clear one as well.

DO Keep an eye on your mirrors.

DO Ride responsibly.

DO Stagger your position on the road so as to maximise forward observation and braking distances.

DO ENJOY YOURSELF

DON'T Do anything you're not comfortable with. It's not a race .

DON'T Follow too close to the bike in front and don't fixate on them.

DON'T Assume the rider in front knows what he's doing.

DON'T Stop if one of the group get pulled over by the Police.

DON'T Worry about keeping up and what the others might think.

DON'T CRASH!

DROP OFF MARKER SYSTEM LINK

http://www.vsocxv.co.uk/rideout/THE%..._%20SYSTEM.pdf

Quote:
Riders not confident to mark a junction should not ride directly behind the leader. Move over when safe and allow someone else to take the "2nd man" position. Do not under any circumstances just "follow the leader" with no other marker in place as this will result in people going all over the place at random.
If you get left as a marker unwittingly, or there is any doubt as to whether people know where they are going at a junction, turn or roundabout, wait for the Tail-ender to pass and rejoin.
____
Old 24-03-10, 06:03 PM   #34
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

There is far more to being a good 'marker' than just stopping, and far more to being a good TEC than just sticking on a High Vis and riding at the back.

The marker must make sure he can clearly be seen by following riders at any junction. We've been on rideouts where a marker has stopped so far round the corner he isn't visible until you are virtually past, and could even be missed completely.

The TEC should be responsible for the markers not being left behind. If they don't manage to pull away in front of you, make sure you slow down enough so that they can catch up and go past safely. You should be checking for them in your mirrors to ensure they are there.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-10, 08:04 PM   #35
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
and far more to being a good TEC than just sticking on a High Vis and riding at the back..
It's been said before, but it does no harm to repeat it for the benefit of newer members, because you often hear people offering to be TEC "because they are slow".

Being TEC actually requires a very competent and confident rider and a level head, because when it goes wrong you basically need to become the rideout's own mini version of the emergency services.

If somebody misses a marker and goes the wrong way you need to be able to catch them quickly and safely, when they could already have made a couple of miles head start on you. (If you are a rider and haven't seen any of the rest of the rideout for a few miles, then you come to a junction with no marker on it, STOP, you are probably on the wrong route, and TEC will never find you if you keep going or take any turnings)

It helps if your pretty confident with your feet up 'u' turns, and finding safe places to stop at short notice.

You may need to deal with breakdowns, accidents, etc, injured and shocked riders, phone and give directions/location to police and ambulance, and deal with them when they arrive.

If you do have an accident to deal with, the whole rideout will want to stop and help, which is great, but unless they are a doctor or nurse, to be honest they are just getting in the way, the shocked rider doesn't need the audience and neither do the police and ambulance. Nominate a new TEC and send the rest of the rideout on their way, to pick up the waiting markers which by this point will be stretched right across the route, and relay a request that the rideout leader phone you to make alternative arrangements at the next planned stop.

If you have a breakdown to deal with, you need to assess whether the bike is going to get going again in a reasonable time frame. Some basic understanding of how a bike works will help. Don't forget you will have markers waiting for you ahead. If you and the rider can get it going great, if not it's the riders decision how they deal with it, it's their bike. Hopefully they have breakdown cover and it's no problem, but if they don't you can't wait with them forever. You can offer them a lift on pillion if they are happy to chain the bike up at the side of the road and leave it until it can be recovered. After all what would they do if they had been out for a ride alone and got stranded at the side of the road?

IMO it is best if TEC knows the route, and knows where he is on that route.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 24-03-10 at 08:19 PM.
Old 24-03-10, 08:12 PM   #36
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
It's not the responsibility of the rideout organiser to get you home
Always a good idea to be able to find your way home from anywhere. If you breakdown and get left behind, 90 minutes later the AA may have you back up and running. Or if you miss a marker or get lost because a marker deserts his post or waits in a silly place, TEC may not be able to find you in a reasonable time frame and will have to give up trying in order to sweep up the remaining markers.

If you do find yourself completely alone and you can't get in touch with the organiser, don't know where the next stop is, don't panic about it, your not going to die. Just say "oh well, that's a shame because I was enjoying my day", leave a message on the organisers mobile, and make your own way home.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 24-03-10 at 08:17 PM.
Old 24-03-10, 08:25 PM   #37
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
as it sounds like you were running a different system to what others were expecting.
It wasn't that really, it was that we hadn't set a system at all. I however was the one with the wrong expectation. I just assumed that if a rider came to a junction that clearly wasn't already marked by somebody else, he'd mark it and wait for the rider behind before continuing. There is no system that we use that doesn't either result in a marker already being there, or the rider having to mark it. Again just complacency because those of us experienced in riding in groups would just do it without thinking. It was a small group and I expected all the riders behind me to fall into a marking system when and if it became necessary. You live and learn!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 24-03-10 at 08:29 PM.
Old 24-03-10, 10:19 PM   #38
punyXpress
Mega Poster

First Carlsberg: Our Leader got through lights 200m from the start & bu99ered off! Closely follewed by #2 - Almost the shortest rideout ever. Local knowledge saved the day.
Take a map! Usually there are enough known detail to rejoin the route or get to the next stop. On another rideout satnavs were no good 'cos no one knew the post code of the next stop - also handy when a marker cleared off ( on a promise ? ) & a group of us made the next stop half hour before the bunch.NO they weren't waiting for us - we had more fun playing on that section.A page out of a ten year old road atlas costs nowt.
Where route is known, print off Google map. Not a lot of good on Applecross, but the ' abstract art watercolour ' is worth about 400 grand! I wish.
Old 24-03-10, 10:29 PM   #39
-Ralph-

I've got one of these

It's A5 size so fits in the map pocket of a tank bag easy. Ring bound so you can open it at the right page, fold it back on itself and stick it back in the map pocket with the right map page showing. I spent a while in a big bookshop comparing different atlases and choosing it, I like the level of detail and the clarity of the mapping, whilst still being an A5 size. So long as I've got this not having sat nav with me is not an issue. People on rideouts seem to like it too, 'cos we always seem to end up round my bike when route planning. I'd recommend it to any biker.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 24-03-10 at 10:33 PM.
Old 24-03-10, 11:48 PM   #40
Ed

Oh my this thread is making a point. I know not directly at me (well maybe just an ickle bit...)

I feel mega stoopid

...but the requirement is getting rather prescriptive and onerous, for a rideout do we really need instructions that are a page long? If the expectations are this high maybe people will think twice about organising something?

Fine balance in there. Just don't do what I did... or rather, didn't.

Last edited by Ed; 24-03-10 at 11:56 PM.