SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-06, 02:50 PM   #1
MR K

Default Bike feeling hot hot hot!

Hi Folks,

The last few times that I have been riding (99 Curvy 650S) I have felt a bunch of heat coming up from around my legs near the pegs. I'm getting a bit worried that the engine is not being able to cool down. Has anyone had this problem? Is it just the hot weather in general or should I be worried? I have tried to check the coolant levels but can't really see much in the tank with the E and F lines. I opened the radiator cap and it's all full so I don't think the problem lies there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-06, 03:13 PM   #2
markmoto

Hi there
from my experience of bikes which is quite extensive from having so many this is a common thing on all bikes in the summer its just heat radiating from the engine and dont forget on a twin engine like the sv vtr etc they have an exhaust pipe coming out of the rear of the engine virtualy right between your legs. Im not familiar with the temp gauge set up on the curvy sv as mine being a later one has a digital readout with the temp showing in digits but most bikes have a warning light that comes on in the even of an over heat situation. This is most unlikely provided you have enough coolant/oil in the engine and there are no leaks.

hope this reasures you abit.

marc
Old 02-07-06, 03:24 PM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Bikes get hot! I've seen 108 degrees on my CBR. When you are sat at lights etc it is BBQ'ing my legs.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 03:26 PM   #4
markmoto

dontcha just love that on a hot day!! roasted chestnuts.
Old 02-07-06, 08:16 PM   #5
medwaysv

i had this prob
hot leg on exhaust side
turns out that zorst was leaking slightly

just a possibilty
Old 02-07-06, 08:29 PM   #6
wheelnut

My frame gets so hot it can burn if you touch it. My R & G's even conduct a lot of heat especially in slow traffic or towns.

Dont worry as long as it has coolant in. You can check there is coolant just by flicking the reservoir and watching for a ripple
Old 02-07-06, 09:22 PM   #7
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Bikes get hot! I've seen 108 degrees on my CBR. When you are sat at lights etc it is BBQ'ing my legs.
109, beat that
Old 03-07-06, 11:08 AM   #8
petevtwin650

Also check that the cooling fan is working. Mine wasn't on my trip to France and I had to wire in a switch. I think if the warning light comes on and you're lucky enough to notice it, it might still be too late.
Old 03-07-06, 11:13 AM   #9
andyaikido

113 yesterday in traffic. Was getting very uncomfortable.