SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-06-12, 07:56 PM   #1
craig dow

Default looking for advise

hi my son was comeing out to mine to do some work , and he went through a 30 speed sign , new tar on road and work going on , and a woman in frount missed her turning and slamed on her brakes and son went right into the back of her , police wasnt going to do any thing , but my son said he was doing 40 as its usaly a 60mph road , but the copper said its a 30 so they charged him son said he never seen 30 sign and after that there is 3 nattion speed signs on that wee bit of road and they wernt coverd up , has he got a case as i would of thought they should of been coverd just a thought , but sure he will lose the case as he went into the back of her , what do you think ???
Old 13-06-12, 08:13 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: looking for advise

Charged him with what?
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12, 08:21 PM   #3
Spank86

Speeding and causing the damage to the other car I would think.

If the national speed limit repeater sign was visible from his position I would imagine you could claim it would be reasonable for him to believe that he was in that speed limit as a repeater (smaller sign) is only used when you're already in that zone.

Accident wise I'd say he's stuffed either way since he went into the back of someone, whatever you're doing you should never do that.

Personally id tell him to pay up and learn from his expensive mistakes, it's not the end of the world and maybe he'll drive with more awareness next time (that's just my opinion and I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kid).
Old 13-06-12, 08:28 PM   #4
MisterTommyH

I would have thought they would have reasoned that you should drive according to the conditions and if you see roadworks going on you should adjust your speed accordingly.

Also no matter what the speed limit it is the responsibility of the driver behind to leave sufficient distance to stop if the driver in front brakes unexpectedly.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12, 08:44 PM   #5
craig dow

i thanks for that i said the same he should of left enough space to stop , but hay we can all be the same in cars , see it very day filttering on bike , there like one great long car train and dont even leave space for us to get back in on our bikes , and it is that sort of road in rush hour thats why got bike , as its nose to nose on that road , but yes do agree with what yove all said , he was charged with reclass and careless driveing six points and a fine i think , if he goes along with it , thanks any way

Last edited by craig dow; 13-06-12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 13-06-12, 08:55 PM   #6
Spank86

Another lesson is if in doubt say nothing, that's going to put his insurance up a bit for the next 5 years.
Old 13-06-12, 08:59 PM   #7
craig dow

yea sure will , and yea shouldnt of said , lesson to be learnt i think
Old 13-06-12, 09:01 PM   #8
MisterTommyH

Yup, I've gone into the back of someone albeit at low speed. Didn't particularly think that was my fault, but that's the way they laws seem to work so might aswell take what the offer rather than going to court, losing and ending up with a worse penalty.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12, 08:49 AM   #9
metalmonkey

Go speak to a lawyer and get some advice.
Old 14-06-12, 09:02 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

How long has he been driving? If less than2 years he could be looking at loosing his license back to learner status. Get professional advice, and teach him to talk appropriately to cops.