SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-07-23, 10:55 PM   #331
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

very impressive Gary
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-23, 07:41 AM   #332
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post

We're eating my beetroot now which is so much nicer than the dried out stuff from the supermarket. Lots of flowers on the runners so they will only be a week or two now, the first of the tomatoes in the greenhouse are just turning, the pumpkins are going mad and I'll lift the first of the main crop spuds in a week or so to see if the excellent top growth is replicated in tuber size.

I like this time of year, even if the weather is a bit unpredictable...
Not started eating beetroot here yet Trevor, it was quite late when I sowed the seeds. Tomatoes are about the same stage as yours though; just starting to turn. We're getting into our stride with courgettes, and squashes have lots of flowers. Lots of little runner beans on the bean plants so hopefully we'll be eating them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Last week was redcurrant and josta berry picking week after the break away last weekend, some 9lb of josta berries and 15lb of redcurrants snuffed and stripped respectively. Lifted my shallots which are some of the best ever and a good crop of garlic harvested. The recent rain has caused the weeds to proliferate to say the least, I always seem to be on the back foot, never really in control! The cucumbers are producing a steady crop and they taste hell of alot better than shop bought.
We've had pounds and pounds of big fat raspberries off the allotment. The plants were there when we took over the allotment, so a welcome freebie there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
very impressive Gary
Thanks Lance, most successful crop of onions I've ever grown, and quite unexpected for a first season in this garden.

Decided to take a chance and do some late sowings, now that the onion, garlic, and one of the spud beds are clear. A row of Kelvedon Wonder peas, two rows of Maxi, dwarf French beans, and one row each of Early Purple, and Green Sprouting broccoli.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-23, 12:38 PM   #333
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Few pics from today.

Runner and French beans are looking lush. The small yellow flowers at the end of the bean bed are Nipplewort, also known as Hawkbeard. The hoverflies love them.

Kevin the Kite kite is flying again as the bloody sparrows have reappeared from their moult.

Front beds are looking good, and the cosmos has been flowering it's head off.

Pond looks like it's been there forever.

Old 25-07-23, 05:50 PM   #334
redtrummy

Picked 40 or so blackberries out of my hedge today - Seem to recall early September was blackberrying time a few years ago
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-23, 06:37 AM   #335
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Picked 40 or so blackberries out of my hedge today - Seem to recall early September was blackberrying time a few years ago
It does seem very early for blackberries.
Old 10-08-23, 07:35 PM   #336
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Today's haul from the veg plot in the garden, and from the allotment. There were runner and climbing French beans as well but I never got a picture of them before they went in the freezer.

Maincrop "Sunset" spuds all harvested and bagged.

Courgettes, Red Russian kale, Asparagus kale, a few random spuds dug out of one of the allotment beds, Rainbow Chard.

Lots of the spuds are huge. I think I shall be eating quite a few baked potatoes...

I shall also be eating a lot of courgettes....
Old 11-08-23, 06:25 PM   #337
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I keep the big paper sacks you can get spuds in from the farm shop. My maincrop Desiree almost filled one this year. Seems they liked the damp summer.

However, two days without rain and the pumpkins look like theyve never been watered in their life. Lightweights!
Old 11-08-23, 06:40 PM   #338
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Made a start on the platform for the greenhouse this afternoon. I've come to a halt now though as I've run out of stakes.

Picked more runner and climbing French beans on the way back indoors. The Blauhilde french beans are incredibly prolific.

Old 12-08-23, 07:21 PM   #339
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Bit of a rethink on the greenhouse platform. Much happier with this iteration.

Old 19-08-23, 08:55 AM   #340
Seeker
Mega Poster

Someone in the dim and distant past planted a ground cover in one corner of my front garden. I think it is "snow-in-Summer" it produces small white flowers in late Spring (silvery leaves), it looked pretty until grass started growing inside. I have never cut it back but, I just read, I was supposed to - even run the lawnmower over it!

I decided to dig it up - I have read about how plants can bind the soil to prevent erosion - they also bind the soil to prevent being dug up.

Since I'm a reluctant gardener, I have been limiting myself to one trugful (trug-full?) a day but have already nearly filled my garden waste bin which had been emptied on Thursday (2 weeks till next emptying).
Suddenly, paying someone else to do it seems quite an attractive idea