SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 25-02-14, 09:45 PM   #71
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: I can't believe it? Independence?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
1) They make sure the Proclaimers never cross the border or darken our English airways again

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 10:50 AM   #72
Dicky Ticker

I am a Scotsman,my birth certificate states when and where I was born,my work record by NIC's gives where I worked but I have no vote on what becomes of my Nationality.

A Chinaman working in a restaurant in Glasgow can decide this for me,even if he is only here for a few years before he goes back to China.

Do I detect a flaw in the voting system?

Yes it is a personal thing to me but I also consider my nationality to be quite an important issue which should be my decision given a choice

Anybody who has travelled the world and had dealings with embassies will appreciate that what it says on your passport can have a bearing, hence my concern, a whole new diplomatic issue if Scotland becomes independent.

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 26-02-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 26-02-14, 11:12 AM   #73
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

I have no issue at all with you not being allowed to vote. You don't live here so you don't get to meddle in decisions that will impact mainly on those that do live here. Harsh but fair in my opinion.

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 12:01 PM   #74
The Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
I have no issue at all with you not being allowed to vote. You don't live here so you don't get to meddle in decisions that will impact mainly on those that do live here. Harsh but fair in my opinion.
I agree.

You chose to live outwith Scotland so why would you be allowed to vote?
Old 26-02-14, 12:11 PM   #75
ethariel

So why can every person who claims to thier 32nd cousin they are a Scot and lives outside the EU get the vote (eg living in Oz, USA, South Africa etc) when I born and bred north of the border cannot because I now live in London?

Back on the track of finances, I hope you realise it will beggar both the remainder of the Union ans Scotland for generations to actually split the Union. It's not just 'Westminster pay's us X a year and we don't spend it all', have you taken into account all the civil servants that are paid by department not location?

All the Home Office staff, UKBA, Customs and Excise (as noted above, the Military).

I'm British by Birth and a Jock by the grace of the gods (so not to inflict any single religon on anyone i'll just use Gods to keep everyone happy - Note to fellow atheists, yes i really know it's all pony anyway).

So if it's not all clear, my vote is not for a NO to independance but a YES for maintaining the Union.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 01:03 PM   #76
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Aye, but DT, if you were a refugee of diaspora status, you be likely to have a say on its demise.

Btw......he still ain't Scottish

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 01:03 PM   #77
Dicky Ticker

I am not a 32nd cousin and have claim on property in Scotland so what is decided does have an affect on me unfortunately. All I am saying is I find myself in a "Catch 22" situation with the outcome beyond anything I can vote on to influence it.
I will ask one question,--Who set the criteria for the vote Scotland or Westminster.
Old 26-02-14, 01:35 PM   #78
Milky Bar Kid

Default I can't believe it? Independence?????

As much as I see where you are coming from DT, where do they draw the line? They have to draw it somewhere I'm afraid and this is what they have chosen.
Old 26-02-14, 01:47 PM   #79
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default I can't believe it? Independence?????

I think the vote should be given to everyone capable of doing a Scottish accent.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 02:16 PM   #80
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post
I think the vote should be given to everyone capable of doing a Scottish accent.
Pegasus has a Scottish accent. He was born in London(narrowly missing Italy)through no fault of his own, due to the fact his country of origin were at war with each other. Turks and Greeks between the years of 1956-74. Now it has the only divided capital of Europe with the north under an illegitimate government and illegal occupation. The whole island is actually part of the EU.

In Cyprus he is classed as British Cypriot. If he went 'home' to live he would still have to do National service and would bypass residency criteria. Anyone of this nature is a citizen of Cyprus, no matter where in the world they are born if one or both their parents are Cypriots. .

Imo, and with this in mind, anyone who can prove legitimacy of birth right and an ancestry dating back to year dot.... You should have the right to vote.
However, carefully watch what you wish for Scotland, or you may find yourself in a bitter dispute for uncountable decades!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 26-02-14 at 02:19 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote