SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-03-07, 01:06 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Bloody rates bill has arrived

up by 5%, not as bad as the last 2 years increases. The borough and parish councils have not increased. Just the 5% to the county grabbers to pay for lesbian single mother clubs and red tarmac on every bend and a wacking great 11% to the police authority to pay for god knows what as we never see a copper when we need them. Seeing as I only have had 2.5% increase in salary last year would I be justified in telling them sorry I can only afford to pay you a 2.5% increase?.

I still think the old tory scheme was far fairer where everyone paid. But unfortunately those who suddenly had to pay for services rioted. Hmmm what if we who have always paid rioted and said it was unfair to tax just some.
Old 19-03-07, 01:08 PM   #2
600+

Default Re: Bloody rates bill has arrived

got mine through as well

for some strange reason is £5 a month less than last year?
Old 19-03-07, 01:10 PM   #3
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I still think the old tory scheme was far fairer where everyone paid. But unfortunately those who suddenly had to pay for services rioted. Hmmm what if we who have always paid rioted and said it was unfair to tax just some.
Hear! Hear! With a young family the poll tax saved us a fortune (about 40% less than Council Tax) Identical house next door was up in arms cos with 4 working adults thier bill was much higher. They used to put out about 10 times as much rubbish and had 4 cars, so thier consumption of services was proportionate to what they were paying.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-07, 01:21 PM   #4
K

Just got our household's through and it's only gone up by £3 a month...

... and as Virgin Media have discounted my TV bill I'm quids in for my year ahead...

... OK, so it may only be enough to increase my monthly intake of Green & Blacks Almond & Milk Chocolate by a few bars - but it all helps.
Old 19-03-07, 01:23 PM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

I don't understand why council tax or poll tax is required. We pay income tax, based on the money we earn, what more do they want?

I hope Gordon Brown takes control of the government and calls a general election soon, so we can boot the greedy gits out
Old 19-03-07, 01:37 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Maybe we could all pay less tax if we refrained from invading countries in far distant parts of the world for a bit.Then we could scale down Trident and not spend billions on a new NHS computer that no one really needs and doesn't work anyway.We could stop flogging off what's left of our industry to foreigners who then asset strip it and close it down,which would leave more jobs and hence more people to pay tax.Then I wouldn't have to pay it all.
Old 19-03-07, 02:24 PM   #7
kwak zzr

i hate TAX!! its on bl@@dy everything! if you work out how much you pay you'd cry!
Old 19-03-07, 02:29 PM   #8
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
i hate TAX!! its on bl@@dy everything......
.......except aeroplane fuel.
Old 19-03-07, 02:34 PM   #9
Grinch

kids shoes...
Old 19-03-07, 02:37 PM   #10
skint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
I don't understand why council tax or poll tax is required. We pay income tax, based on the money we earn, what more do they want?

I hope Gordon Brown takes control of the government and calls a general election soon, so we can boot the greedy gits out
There has always been local tax whatever party in different guises from dometics rates to the various ones Thatcher tried out unsuccessfully costing local people millions everytime her Govt changed their minds because they had got it wrong.

Reason for local tax is simply because income tax isn't enough to pay for everything. Mine has gone up £10 a month - not nice

Last edited by skint; 19-03-07 at 02:40 PM.