SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-08-18, 09:02 PM   #21
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i understand about rugby as i went to a school (Boroughmuir) that was once famous for it but i still cant stand to watch it

I hated sport at school and despised the PE master. He once told me that I'd be no good at swimming if I didn't listen to him, I then proceeded to beat everyone else at backstroke (not my stroke) and had to explain I couldn't represent my house at sports day as I'd be on holiday. (Good job he didn't trial for breaststroke - I still take on my son, he does freestyle while I breaststroke. He loses, although he is getting closer)

Then I left and took up rugby at university. I then took up several other sports and even made a living out of them. I got paid to swim and to coach several other sports then I realised how dreadful the PE master had been and how little he understood of sport, how to participate, how to teach it, etc.

It taught me that individual sports like swimming are actually team sports and that to succeed takes more grit than natural skill. I left sport for something I'm actually good at and can earn a decent living at (one that supports children) but learnt about teamwork and hard graft on the way.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-18, 09:03 PM   #22
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Most (not all) of the cricketers I know can't see the appeal of motorcycling. Putting yourself at risk of every idiot car driver/bit of gravel/pot hole. Having to wear loads of heavy, expensive gear. Getting wet when it rains. Cleaning and oiling your chain, checking your tyres every trip, not even having a cup holder for your coffee...

Wusses
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote