SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-08, 10:32 PM   #1
buckstone

Default Braided Brake Line Pics

I'm off to the Scottish Bike Show at the weekend to (hopefully) pick up some bargains. One of the things I'm looking for is braided brake lines.

I've seen a good few bikes parked up recently with these and a lot of them look pretty untidy - almost as if the lines are too long for the bike, or that little thought has been given to the routing.

I presume that for pointys when you fit the new lines, you lose the 'splitter' valves (perhaps not the right term !!!) on each side and the whole setup is much simpler than the original.

Does anyone have pictures of a neatly done job so I can get an idea of what it'll look like when it's done ? And any advice about what brands suit the SV (pointy) best would be welcome. Thanks ......
buckstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 11:23 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Braided Brake Line Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstone View Post
I'm off to the Scottish Bike Show at the weekend to (hopefully) pick up some bargains. One of the things I'm looking for is braided brake lines.

I've seen a good few bikes parked up recently with these and a lot of them look pretty untidy - almost as if the lines are too long for the bike, or that little thought has been given to the routing.

I presume that for pointys when you fit the new lines, you lose the 'splitter' valves (perhaps not the right term !!!) on each side and the whole setup is much simpler than the original.

Does anyone have pictures of a neatly done job so I can get an idea of what it'll look like when it's done ? And any advice about what brands suit the SV (pointy) best would be welcome. Thanks ......
I dont have pics handy but the usual approach is to use whats referred to as a race setup for the front. You bin the brake line junction and instead have two seperate brake lines that each run directly from the master cylinder to each caliper. Its cheaper to do it this way too as you need fewer lines.

The banjo bolt that fastens both lines to the master cylinder is a double length bolt, i.e. it fastens the top end of two lines instead of the stock single line.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 07:37 AM   #3
blueto

i have blue goodrich on mine. ill pm u some pics tonight.
Old 06-03-08, 08:39 AM   #4
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueto View Post
i have blue goodrich on mine. ill pm u some pics tonight.
Post em on here Blueto, so's other members can see them. Might encourage them to do the job too.

I've got HEL lines on mine. Not a pointy but the same principle.

If you go for the two line or race set up as it was known then you should get the double banjo and all the copper washers (7). Beware if you are thinking of getting the rear too in a kit as some 3 line kits are just for the front ie: using the splitter still. Also the lengths are hit and miss it would appear. My rear is too long whilst Richies is G string tight.

Also the next set of lines I get I'm gonna have in natural stainless.

Old 06-03-08, 12:24 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

My install's pretty ugly to be honest, neither line is quite the right length. Haggis has a really neat setup, the lines are long but they're all tidy and in the right place, it looks great... TBH step one in getting your lines the right length is to not buy HEL lines, they're almost always too long.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 01:00 PM   #6
Lozzo

The HEL lines I bought last week for my pointy were spot on the right length.
Old 06-03-08, 02:18 PM   #7
tonyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
The HEL lines I bought last week for my pointy were spot on the right length.
My HEL lines on my 1000 naked are to short nearly failed the mot for being to tight ... have had them replaced with 40mm longer ones... now have to do the whole install again....
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 09:17 PM   #8
buckstone

Cheers for that, guys.

Whenever you go to a show and see the show bikes, they always look perfect - as if they were tailor made for that bike. They probably are so when you bring home what you think is exactly the same, it never looks quite like the show bike .....

Will see what I can find tomorrow.
buckstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 09:32 PM   #9
NedSVS

My HEL lines are so long that they have rubbed the paint off the top of my front mudguard when the suspension is compressed. Have tried my best to re-route them to avoid this, but this only led to rubbing paint off in more areas! Pitty really, especially as the product itself is excellent.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 10:00 PM   #10
DoubleD

I have HEL lines (just got them) called HEL up today as the lines are a little long and I need 90 degree banjos not straight (got lines for a naked as I have just put risers on)and they are doing it all for FREE, all I have to do it post them back and they will turn them around the same day.

Thats good service to me.

EDIT: I'll have some pics for you later when I get my lines back.

Last edited by DoubleD; 07-03-08 at 10:30 PM.