SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-05, 11:48 AM   #1
Kate

Default Congestion Charge for bikes?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...0Standard&ct=5

Anyone else seen this? Apologies if its already been posted.

This is just great.
Old 24-03-05, 11:59 AM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage... Ken probably won't get a second term because everyone's realised he's a ****.

It's a fact that bikes don't cause congestion, and that bike accidents in the capital have fallen significantly since cars were subject to the Charge.

Basically, this is about money.... he's not got enough of it, and the Charge isn't making nearly as much as it was supposed to. Which is why he wants to extend West.
Old 24-03-05, 12:02 PM   #3
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
I wouldn't worry about it at this stage... Ken probably won't get a second term because everyone's realised he's a ****.
Erm, Ken is currently in his second term *despite* everyone realising that he's a ****!
Old 24-03-05, 12:02 PM   #4
Mr Toad

clucking bell

I see no mention of providing a decent number of spaces to park in

It's nothing to do with safety, purely a means of raising money.

My petrol costs me £2.80 per day + road tax - how can you justify £5 on top of that

Time for Mr Livingstone to meet with a sticky end
Old 24-03-05, 12:05 PM   #5
AlanSv

what a load of twaddle.

So bikes are dangerous so we're going to tax you, so by stopping people using bikes in london we save lives, or maybe they just move the deaths to somewhere else, as bikers will ride to tube stations instead, so perhaps the deaths will move out to other areas.

doesnt Rizla work for TfL? perhaps she can elaborate on some of the more madcap ideas. I agree with the bus lane stuff. Perhaps they should stick a filter lane on some of the london roads too, or extend some of the pushbike filter lanes that I've seen on some roads (they usually lead to the bike area at the front of lights etc)
Old 24-03-05, 12:07 PM   #6
AlanSv

oh, and get this, Kens policies affect more people who dont get to vote for the mayor than do.

All us commuters dont get to comment on the policies that hit us hardest. Locals get discounts on the schemes, but we dont, so no wonder they vote him in, as they want to keep the roads for themselves (school runs problably)

If I become liable for Congestion Charging 5 days a week, then I want a say on who becomes Mayor.
Old 24-03-05, 12:10 PM   #7
Kate

I like the way they are hoping that it will push bikers onto public transport. Personally, I plan (I'm using a car at the moment) to use a bike for commuting because of the cost. Its marginally cheaper for me to drive in every day than use the trains, tube and DLR, not to mention a lot less hassle. Using a bike should reduce my running costs nicely, and I'm not going to cough up £140 a month to use public transport.

It appears to be another way to fleece the public and make up their safety figures in one go, afterall, if you force people off the roads, the accident rate is going to go down, well, inside the CC zone anyway.
Old 24-03-05, 12:20 PM   #8
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
Erm, Ken is currently in his second term *despite* everyone realising that he's a ****!
Bugger.. that passed me by! And after he went crawling back to Labour too! I use the London busses regularly... but I resent having to wait 20-30 minutes for one! Perhaps he should worry about the items he was elected for first!
Old 24-03-05, 12:24 PM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
I like the way they are hoping that it will push bikers onto public transport. Personally, I plan (I'm using a car at the moment) to use a bike for commuting because of the cost. Its marginally cheaper for me to drive in every day than use the trains, tube and DLR, not to mention a lot less hassle. Using a bike should reduce my running costs nicely, and I'm not going to cough up £140 a month to use public transport.
Agreed, even taking into account road tax, insurance etc. a bike like the SV is not that much more expensive than using public transport (and if you do big miles, it's probably cheaper).

They always bang on about justifying the cost of train tickets as needing the cash for improvements, but they never arrive (the improvements, nor the trains ). There is also the massive key failing of public transport in the UK that seems to often be overlooked: IT CANNOT BE RELIED UPON. I can honestly say I would prefer to go on an important journey on a ducati than rely on our trains and busses. It's also a myth trains are fantastic for the environment, once you take into account: running near empty trains at non peak times, cost of rails as well as the trains, stations, etc. it's not so beneficial.
Old 24-03-05, 12:37 PM   #10
Kate

If I was to use public transport, my journey would consist of a 7 minute walk, a 40 minute train journey, a 10 minute tube journey, 5 minutes on a DLR and then walk for 5 minutes. This lovely journey would cost approximately £140 a month. Add in the fact that the trains are frequently delayed, cancelled and totally crammed, oh and lets not forget the lovely lovely Jubilee line I would have to take!!

It takes approximately £140 in petrol and takes about the same time to go by car, which is why I am now planning on using the SV.

I did the public transport thing for years and have finally got sick of it.

There we go, rant over, I really resent being charged for public transport, if it was more reliable I would still resent the cost but would understand it a little more.