SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-19, 07:10 AM   #81
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: First world problems and bike dilemas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Does your 900 tracer have the assymetric dash and fuel cap like the MT-09?
Daft idea.

If you're going to Ye Honda Shoppe, ask them about servicing costs for the VFR.
Make sure you're sitting down first.
A major service is expensive at 16k as it involves a valve check. Mine had just been done when i bought it. I haven't bothered with the 32k as most owners find that the valves rarely need adjustment. Everything else I can do myself even the brake bleeding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 27-08-19, 06:48 PM   #82
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I am aware of the valve check cost. Checking it's been done on anything I look at. Cheers.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 09:49 PM   #83
ASM1

On the VFR front,i have owned 5,the first a scruffy 1986 model with 59,000 miles on it and scratch marks on the odometer numbers,so had already been clocked,sold it with 89,000,it was light,handled well and the engines are/were absolutely bullet proof,bit of cam gear rattle at high mileage. Still doing the job in some classic racing classes now. The early ones were built as sports bikes,but immediately eclipsed by gsxrs etc.
The newer they were(back then) the heavier and less fun they got,despite still imho being the ultimate do anything bike.
Had two more early ones 88 and 89,both absolutely faultless and fun the fk being the pick of the bunch. Then got a single sided swing arm one,an FL i think.
Still capable,but not fun and felt heavy,then the nr750 lookalike 96? Looked great,still did not inspire me in any way. I realise that i am now (very) old and most people want abs and traction control. I don't.
I don't know about the late vfr800vtec, by all accounts if power comes on in a rush,then i imagine despite its weight (and the dreaded honda camchains)it's probably a giggle.

Last edited by ASM1; 27-08-19 at 09:59 PM.
ASM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-19, 10:59 PM   #84
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

So this is where I've got to so far. The new (to me) bike...
A 2014 Street Triple R with some slight mods by a previous owner.

Old 07-09-19, 11:18 PM   #85
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

The most obvious difference to stock is the round headlight. I'm changing that back to normal straight away. Bracket, lights, fairing etc already sourced. The rear end looks to be either a Daytona or Striple RX version that's been added on with Triumph "Shad" seat and pillion cowl. Not something I've seen on any others. I had hoped the seat would solve the slipping forward issues I have with these bikes. It does to an extent but not totally. Tank knee grips are definitely needed. I might get another seat and have a go at modifiying it or get it sent away to be modified if I can get the money together.

Along with the light change a previous owner also (brutally) screwed the clocks into the top of the bar clamp. Done in a very shoddy way, slightly to the side and not straight. Probably because the round light sits where the original clock bracket was. The whole arrangment of the wires and position of everything is a mess up front and the clocks and light leads are stopping the steering going to full lock. Quite surprised it passed an MOT like that! I'm changing it all asap though.

A few nice bling bits inc Triumph LED indicators and quickshifter. I keep forgetting to use the quickshifter though and actually prefer the clutch lever most of the time for a softer release into the next gear as the quickshifter can cause shifts to grab a bit. I'm probably not using it right though.

I looked at all bikes I was interested in and ultimately decided to put "fun" at the top of the list. After all that's why I ride a bike, to enjoy it. When it works for a commute or getting to relatives that's great too. But I found I was focusing too much on finding a bike that would cope with motorways well too and everything was too much of a compromise. I actually hate riding on motorways anyway and only do so out of necessity sometimes, so not the best main criteria for choosing a bike. The Striple is definitely hard work at 70mph for any length of time, but for most of the riding I do, it's great and I'm actually enjoying riding a naked bike again. I'll wait and see how I feel about that in the depths of dark cold winter though.

But, other suggestions that people gave did really interest me. And still do. I know it was a joke when someone mentioned having two bikes. But it got me thinking. Having the short test ride on the VFR in the summer heat a few weeks ago made me think about what a great second bike it would be. Motorway capable and built in double heaters (radiators) to kick out some heat in the winter. I'm intrigued by the V4 engine too. I'm keeping an eye out and if a 2006 or newer one with higher mileage comes up cheap (as they seem to sometimes) and I find some money somehwere, I might just try and make space in the garage for one. I think it would be a great combination with the Striple. Likewise, if a cheap BMW F800gt came up for sale that could be a good combo too as a motorway capable and frugal option. The BMWs don't seem to come up for sale as such bargains though.

For now I have plenty to keep me busy getting the Striple fixed up and adjusted and hopefully a bit more decent weather to get out and have fun on it.

Thanks to everyone for input on this. I was quite surprised how interested I was in some of the bikes mentioned that I would never have thought of before.
Old 08-09-19, 08:23 AM   #86
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Nice bike Adam. I'd agree though that the headlight really does need changing - it just looks so wrong on a striple.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 08:31 AM   #87
Seeker
Mega Poster

I actually like the single headlight look. I investigated it when I had a triple but, if it's the same one, is an American kit and is expensive. My triple was a 2012 and it was the last year of the high pipes - I liked the pipes but they were very heavy. I'll be curious to see what mileage you get because the newer 675s (after 2013) were supposed to be 10% better than prior models. The triple weighs slightly less than the SV but feels much more like a big bike - more solid. Nice looking bike, congrats.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 08:46 AM   #88
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Nice bike Adam. I'd agree though that the headlight really does need changing - it just looks so wrong on a striple.
I agree.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-19, 09:23 AM   #89
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I actually like the single headlight look. I investigated it when I had a triple but, if it's the same one, is an American kit and is expensive. My triple was a 2012 and it was the last year of the high pipes - I liked the pipes but they were very heavy. I'll be curious to see what mileage you get because the newer 675s (after 2013) were supposed to be 10% better than prior models. The triple weighs slightly less than the SV but feels much more like a big bike - more solid. Nice looking bike, congrats.

It needs changing because it gets in the way of the clocks bracket, which I want to move back out front instead of hacked onto the bar clamp, where they're too far back out of view.
Old 08-09-19, 09:29 AM   #90
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The triple weighs slightly less than the SV but feels much more like a big bike - more solid. Nice looking bike, congrats.

I'd say it definitely shares some characteristics. The engine breaking has a similar feel and it has some character to the engine too.

It's a more involved ride than the Tracer was. I need to pay attention as it feels very sharp and responsive. It requires slightly heavier bar input, but responds sharply to that input if that makes sense. I guess that's down to geometry and shorter suspension travel and narrower bars. The suspension is quite firm too! Definitely need a loose grip on the bars on bad road surfaces, especially through corners.

Considering it has 10bhp less than the Tracer it feels like it really flies from standing and pulls well at dual carriageway speeds for overtakes and blipping the throttle to get out of blind spots etc.