SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 08-05-11, 04:37 PM   #51
steveg

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Wheelhouse tyres want £264 ride in ride out for PR3's

It's only £8 less for PR2's !!
Ouch .... recon I've got another 2k left on my storms on the sprint ( sb good for 6k) , never paid more than £200 for tyres before , looks like this is going to change shortly

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 04:44 PM   #52
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
Ouch .... recon I've got another 2k left on my storms on the sprint ( sb good for 6k) , never paid more than £200 for tyres before , looks like this is going to change shortly
You'll be fine if you go for another pair of Storms, but Michelin is a premium brand. I paid £230 odd to loose wheels and £30 extra every 6000 miles is neither here nor there, so I choose a tyre based upon other measures than just price.
Old 09-05-11, 07:43 AM   #53
Dicky Ticker

Steveg,The 2ct and 3ct are at the higher price but the NEW Pilot Road are designed as a touring tyre and recommended for the ST, coming in within your budget of £200. I have just had a pair fitted,ride in ride out for that price.So far very happy and with the slightly lower tyre pressure[32/36] a much more compliant ride.
No doubt the 2ct and 3ct have a higher cornering capability for fast riding but as I am an old duffer and tend to keep within the speed limits I didn't see the need.Tyre technology is complex as it depends on purpose,the reason for the variation with in brands,so you pays your money and takes your choice.
Old 09-05-11, 10:41 AM   #54
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I can report that these are pretty good in the rain, after yesterday's downpour. Braking was very secure and acceleration out of bends gave no cause for concern, two up. Easily as good as Storms in the wet imo.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 02:06 PM   #55
Specialone

Mike, I hope these are a lot better than storms in the wet tbh, 2 mags when testing the storms said negative things about them in damp / wet conditions, the PR3's are designed as you know to be a step forward in wet weather grip ( allegedly) so I would expect them to be noticeably better than storms, or any sports touring tyre tbh.

How that translates in the real world remains to be seen.
Old 09-05-11, 02:17 PM   #56
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I have no idea why the storms got such a slating in recent reviews.
Old 09-05-11, 05:37 PM   #57
Specialone

In bike mag, the guy testing the tyres really disliked them, they were measuring temps of all the tyres tested as well, can't remember how the storms came out in terms of running temp.

I was considering storms tbh cos of the price but I'd read a few reviews inc bike mags test and they put me off.
If PR2's wouldve been around £230 I would've fitted them as quite a few on the trumpet sprint forum run with those with positive feedback.
Old 10-05-11, 02:32 PM   #58
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Mike, I hope these are a lot better than storms in the wet tbh, 2 mags when testing the storms said negative things about them in damp / wet conditions, the PR3's are designed as you know to be a step forward in wet weather grip ( allegedly) so I would expect them to be noticeably better than storms, or any sports touring tyre tbh.

How that translates in the real world remains to be seen.
I have done thousands of miles on Storms, they are the best wet weather tyre I had tried to date. They are very, very good in the wet. So far the PR3s are a match for Storms, but I have not pushed them in the wet or dry yet. So far I would say PR3 are good rain tyres, but I need more miles in the wet to know exactly how good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I have no idea why the storms got such a slating in recent reviews.
Ditto. Avons seem to be disliked by journos.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 03:25 PM   #59
Bibio
Mega Poster

one thing to remember about reviewers, they talk bollox, the more cash/gifts they get the more bollox they write. bike magazines are essentially nothing but advertising tools to get jo public to part with cash.

anyway i'm looking froward to hearing the (real life) reviews here.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 09:15 PM   #60
-Ralph-

Well, first real life review is they are very confidence inspiring right from day one, I've done about 60 miles on them tonight and felt comfortable and actually pushed them harder than I've ever pushed a tyre whilst scrubbing in. Felt a few slips at the rear end, mostly when accelerating out of bends, and one or twice mid bend when I'd made a quicker change of direction. When I pushed as hard again on purpose to see if I could make them slip, I failed. I guess the slip was just me hitting unscrubbed bits of tyre.

Because I've put the steeper profile tyre on the rear, it's clear I am always going to have mahoosive chicken strips with them, but I don't care because any slowness in the turn in, or need to push then hold the bike into a lean with a lot of counter steer pressure has gone completely, just think about turning and it turns.

For anyone putting these on a lightweight sportsbike in order to get more mileage out of the tyres, that's fine, but be prepared to run softer pressures or adjust suspension settings, or both. I'm not sure which yet, another thread in tuning and tweaking coming up, but the bike is trying to make me feel like I'm drilling the road with a jack hammer.