SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-10, 05:51 PM   #1
s7uyj

Default 2006 Pointy running rough, now wont start.

Right, brief of first symptoms

Low revs, winding on throttle, it doesnt go... feels like something is holding the revs back and sounds like its struggling, then all of a sudden it kicks in and nearly sent me viewing the sky!

Sat running a bit rough on idle, nearly stalling etc, stopped the bike now will hardly start and doesnt seem to matter what i do with the throttle

Lifted tank and took out air filter, seems to be 2 patches of oil on the underside of the filter, like its been blowing it back?!

Also, should the visible butterfly valves be free to turn so you can see right down the chamber? at the moment they seem to be stuck and dont move in any way when i turn the throttle. if i try to turn them manually they only move a tiny bit(as in a knats genitalia).

Any help or ideas really appreciated, supposed to be getting out on first proper ride this year tomorrow but so far doesnt look hopefull!

All standard except Scorpion Street extreme exhaust

Cheers guys
Old 06-03-10, 05:59 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: 2006 Pointy running rough, now wont start HELP PLEASE!

Well, firstly, there is always some oil in the airbox, thats just oil vapous from the crankcase breather check the part where the throttle cables turn the throttle butterfly, make sure there is nothing seized up or whatever.

My first wonderment is...has the bike been standing for ages? I'm just thinking about the posibility of stale fuel
Old 06-03-10, 06:13 PM   #3
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Have you been out in rain, could it be running on one cylinder. This is what mine was like when I had water in the front plug.

Do a search on here but this is one of many posts http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...light=cylinder
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012

Last edited by Shellywoozle; 06-03-10 at 06:15 PM.
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 06:15 PM   #4
s7uyj

Cheers for clearing up the oil thing!

Cant be stale fuel, only filled up the other day and hasnt been standing for more than a week max.

From what i can see, looking from the right hand side (as sat on the bike) there are 2 connecting rods, one above the other. The bottom one moves when i turn the throttle but the top one doesnt. its almost like there should be a linkage thing that has broken.

I cant see anything seized, but then again im not sure what should and shouldnt move
Old 06-03-10, 06:24 PM   #5
s7uyj

nope, hasnt seen rain for a while now, pretty sure its something to do with the butterfly valves but not sure what
Old 06-03-10, 06:29 PM   #6
Amanda

Hi Mate! Sounds a bit like what happened to mine recently.

Is it only firing on one cylinder on low revs and then at a certain point in the revs it kicks in again???? See the "Loss of Power & Cutting Out" thread. If so then could be the coil has gone like mine did???
Old 06-03-10, 06:30 PM   #7
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Hi Mate! Sounds a bit like what happened to mine recently.

Is it only firing on one cylinder on low revs and then at a certain point in the revs it kicks in again???? See the "Loss of Power & Cutting Out" thread. If so then could be the coil has gone like mine did???
Great minds think alike I posted you thread. You got yours all sored now Amanda?
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

Old 06-03-10, 06:35 PM   #8
Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
Great minds think alike I posted you thread. You got yours all sored now Amanda?

Hahah - Oh Sorry! Didn't realise that linky was for my thread.

Yeah sorted now after replacing the coil and the plug cap, £200 for the priviledge. Growls perfect now. Just waiting for Chris to put the fairing back on though.
Old 06-03-10, 06:44 PM   #9
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Just waiting for Chris to put the fairing back on though.

If he needs some practice at puttin them on he can practice on mine LOL

Glad its sorted, ouch at cost ... sorry for derail

Old 06-03-10, 06:54 PM   #10
s7uyj

cheers for the tip, im going to check that now just to make sure, it was a bit random to be honest, really big loss of power then kicked back in all of a sudden, my main concern is why the butterflies on the throttle body isnt opening, also doesnt sound like is running on one, prettysure its running on both but just really struggling with it