SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-10-20, 04:44 PM   #1891
SVSte

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Just fitted the Suzuki Visor Screen, a lot better than the Givi one, for the looks and use less pressure round my head on the motorway.
Old 03-10-20, 05:51 PM   #1892
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSte View Post
Just fitted the Suzuki Visor Screen, a lot better than the Givi one, for the looks and use less pressure round my head on the motorway.
Interesting. I found exactly the opposite - for me, the Suzuki meter visor did nothing but look pretty but the Givi (A3111) gives me good wind protection. I'm guessing height is what has made our conflicting results.

I had bought the white one but it didn't even match the white on the tank. I suppose with a name like "meter visor" it's telling you what it does. When I bought it the price was £125 which I thought was pricey for such a small screen, I see now it is even more expensive at £180.
Old 04-10-20, 12:14 PM   #1893
svenrico

'When I bought it the price was £125 which I thought was pricey for such a small screen, I see now it is even more expensive at £180.'
Ridiculous price
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 09:39 AM   #1894
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSte View Post
No experience of any other screens but agree the Suzuki screen looks great, I think it really lifts the styling, I think my bike looks a bit odd / unfinished without it. Don't really have an opinion on whether it serves any actual functional purpose, but then I've only taken the SV on the Motorway once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
'When I bought it the price was £125 which I thought was pricey for such a small screen, I see now it is even more expensive at £180.'.Ridiculous price
I agree, the price is ridiculous, but IMHO almost worth it, if styling is an important consideration (very subjective I know). Fortunately I am in the happy position of both loving the screen and not having had to pay for it, as it came already attached to my 1600 mile one owner SV upon purchase last year

Here's my bike with:

and without:

Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 07:30 PM   #1895
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Notable improvement , that.
Old 06-10-20, 07:25 PM   #1896
gadget

Just drowned my sv in acf50 in prep for storm 'bike wrecker' and it's mates! Can't believe I nearly sold it ... I've just come back from a few days away, uncovered the sv and ... went all soppy again, really like this bike, I really don't know what I was thinking looking at an gs1000, the 650s is pretty much perfect for me.
So decided to prep it for some occasional winter use and enjoy it more.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 02:42 PM   #1897
gadget

Today was a decent day (weather wise) to mess with the curvy 'S', I fitted an in-line fuel filter, started to fabricate some nice shiney 6mm thick alloy heel plates (just bling really), and fitted my digital voltmeter I purchased from Ebay. I had to fab a bracket to mount to the bar that holds the clocks n fairing on, literally just in front of the ignition switch.
The guage is digital, shows readings in either volts or a percentage of battery charge and can be totally switched off when you like, which is handy as it's directly connected to the battery and so prevents battery drain. All in all ... a good and productive day.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 02:50 PM   #1898
SV650rules
Mega Poster

@ gadget I found out from experience that connecting voltmeter direct to battery is the only way of getting an accurate reading - I tried connecting across side light so it came on and off with ignition but found it read anything up to 0.5 volts low due to volt drops in wiring, but across battery reads the same as my fairly expensive digital multimeter. I did put a 1 amp fuse in line to protect thin cables to meter.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 04:54 PM   #1899
admin
John T
Mega Poster

The VFR has a weakness for frying its charging system. I suffered a burnt out connector in the spring which I removed and fitted a voltmeter to the dash to monitor things. This showed a regular 14.6v but this went over 15v when I was out with Garynortheast a couple of weeks ago. The cause of the high voltage was the fan kicking in due to the high ambient temperature and slow speeds.

So a new reg/rec now fitted I'm now getting a steady 13.6v. As an experiment I left the bike running to invoke the fan, voltage dropped to 13.3. Not cheap to replace but safer than frying my ECU.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-20, 06:20 PM   #1900
SV650rules
Mega Poster

13.6 volts is around the float voltage for a 12v battery, not enough to charge it....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote