SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-15, 09:47 AM   #1
Giddsy

Default Damaged front sprocket thread. Curvy.

Hi all, first post, guess what? Problems.

I recently acquired my first sv650 - 2001 naked.. Cracking bike but needed new chain and sprocket. Easy job I thought.

However, it seemed last person who tried to remove front sprcket nut took an angle grinder to it and half cut the bolt off. Think this caused my problems. As it was coming off it became stiff towards the end of the bolt. I know now I probably should have stopped and reassessed the issue but I didn't. So now the bolt is stripped at the end.

So question is how do I go about re-thredding it? Never done this before but looks relatively simple except getting the die in there as all the sets I have seen have massive gert handles on them and I obvioulsy can't remove the offending bolt.

Are there tools that perhaps fit into a socket?

Secondly does anyone know the thread details for this bolt so I can buy a specific die rather than a whole set?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 21-01-15, 09:51 AM   #2
Giddsy

Default Re: Front sprocket woes

Bit more research tells me I need to know the thread pitch. Any ideas?
Old 21-01-15, 10:10 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

By "bolt" I assume you mean the thread on the gearbox shaft, yes? If so then unless the thread is completely destroyed, in which case the shaft will need replacing, the easiest way to tidy the thread would be with a thread restoring file.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-15, 10:34 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Damaged front sprocket thread. Curvy.

I presume you're talking about the single 36mm main shaft nut? if so there are two options the way to do it properly is to take the engine out, strip it down and get the output shaft out; then getting it rethreaded is a simple matter.

the cowboy way of course is to weld the sprocket on (used on track bikes sometimes), but it'd obviously need welding each time.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-15, 10:50 AM   #5
Giddsy

Old 21-01-15, 10:53 AM   #6
Giddsy

Yes you are right it is the gearbox shaft.. showing my inexperience here!

This is really the worst of it, there is another nick on the otherside but as you can see the most part seems ok.

Really hoping sid's idea will work, don't fancy dropping the engine out.

Had a look online and seen you can get various pitches I believe it's called. Do you know which one I will need?
Old 21-01-15, 11:25 AM   #7
Giddsy

Looking and thinking about it, I'd say that's been ****ted with a hammer. The nut I got off had definitely been smacked around..
Old 21-01-15, 12:26 PM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

I'd say that's a fair candidate for repair, but I'd possibly order a new nut if you're not sure how that one has fared.

Thread restorer files usually have a number of different gauges, one on each face I got a set of thread restorer nuts and a file in a neat kit from Halfords years ago that have had good use.

Jambo
Old 21-01-15, 01:31 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

As above

Thread file first, as Sid suggested, it doesn't look too buggered. Its the cheaper option

Here's a 36mm thread restorer nut, as Jambo suggested. Its expensive, but compared to getting the engine out, its cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DORMER-M36...item4ab3a89464

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-15, 02:41 PM   #10
Giddsy

OK thanks for the responses all. Will have a go with the file and let you know how I get on..