SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-08-19, 08:20 AM   #7531
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I use Avast Pro on my PC and the other day i got an email saying it was up for renewal. They offered me another 2 years at £39. I was fine with that.
Today i got an update saying my renewal was complete. Being a suspicious sod I logged into my account to check. Of course it was wrong and I only got one year. I complained and got a load of waffle back.
So I gave them the choice of giving me the 2 years as promised or my money back.
I then get an email saying my subscription is cancelled and my money is being refunded. ! I would have thought that they would have kept my money and altered my expiry date.

Hopeless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
An update.

I got my money back fairly promptly from avast a couple of days later.

Today I got a special offer email from them two years cover for £34.99. wtf.

They can go whistle.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-19, 12:42 PM   #7532
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Running out of electriccary in the Street Trip.

Happened a few weeks back, bike was hot and wouldn't turn over, was fine when cool. I thought this was due to over cranking a while back when I had an ignition pick-up issue (out of fuel at the same time) and it was on/off the charger whilst investigating.

New battery sorted it until I was off camping on Friday, stopped to get cash seven miles to go and no juice at all. Again whilst hot. Looks like it's out with the multimeter.

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 12:55 PM   #7533
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltonSte View Post
Running out of electriccary in the Street Trip.

Happened a few weeks back, bike was hot and wouldn't turn over, was fine when cool. I thought this was due to over cranking a while back when I had an ignition pick-up issue (out of fuel at the same time) and it was on/off the charger whilst investigating.

New battery sorted it until I was off camping on Friday, stopped to get cash seven miles to go and no juice at all. Again whilst hot. Looks like it's out with the multimeter.

Ste
Common problem on VFR's apparently. Stator and rectifier issue, one or the other.

Old 05-08-19, 01:24 PM   #7534
Seeker
Mega Poster

When I had a (2012) Street-Triple there was a spate of failing stators and reg/recs and I spent a while reading about various issues. It was the only bike I've owned that I felt the need to buy a battery monitor like Sparkbright http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkri...ge-monitor.php the led displays a different colour depending on charge.
VFR and Aprilia were going through similar issues and the Aprilia engineers thought that the primary reason for stator failure was heat. Oil is supposed to cool the stator yet in most failures the burnt coil is near the top, perhaps because cooling relies on oil splash? One enterprising guy decided to introduce an oil spray for his stator:
https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...r-Cooling-Mod&

On the Triumph rat forum they were suggesting that a series type reg/rec might be a better way to go (like an SH847) but when I last followed it there were concerns about its ability to regulate at high rpm (13k rpm) but that was 3 years ago.
I always thought that the triple's battery was too small, the SV650 AL7's battery is 30% bigger physically than the triple although I never compared cranking amps, bigger pistons to get moving I suppose. On my triple there was limited space to fit a larger battery though and, of course, that started the Li ion battery debate.

Last edited by Seeker; 05-08-19 at 01:27 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 02:46 PM   #7535
admin
John T
Mega Poster

The VFR forums also think that heat is an issue affecting the stator. That sparkbright device is worth looking at.

Old 06-08-19, 01:38 PM   #7536
Craigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
On the Triumph rat forum they were suggesting that a series type reg/rec might be a better way to go (like an SH847) but when I last followed it there were concerns about its ability to regulate at high rpm (13k rpm) but that was 3 years ago.
I always thought that the triple's battery was too small, the SV650 AL7's battery is 30% bigger physically than the triple although I never compared cranking amps, bigger pistons to get moving I suppose. On my triple there was limited space to fit a larger battery though and, of course, that started the Li ion battery debate.
SH847 is the correct fix, mate has one on his street triple, its a very tight fit in the factory location but it does fit

he had some knock off FH012AA initially, and that wouldnt regulate over 12k rpm, voltage just ramped up wildly above that. with the SH847 no such issues, its been perfect for about 10k miles

made up a custom bracket out of some 3mm ally plate

i have the same SH847 on my VFR too
Craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 01:54 PM   #7537
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

It only shows an issue when it's hot. As in, rode from work to meet and associate. Bike cranked slow like a duff battery.
Left it a while and it fired up first time, same again this time. I was absolutely baking - seat was hot - as I'd been in a lot of traffic/solid whites and it did it again.

From what I've seen heat is playing a part. I'll have a look tonight
Old 06-08-19, 06:50 PM   #7538
maviczap
Mega Poster

My flipping nephews wedding.

Why he couldn't hold it in a place that wasn't in the back of beyond, that requires either driving or a taxi to
(a) get to the church and back to where I'm staying, then
(b) another taxi from my hotel there and back to the reception, as I've not been invited to the wedding diner.

All the hotels are expensive in the area, and nothing within walking distance with AirBnB

Wouldn't mind, but I haven't seen him for about 15 years! Good job the whole family aren't going!
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 04:04 PM   #7539
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltonSte View Post
It only shows an issue when it's hot

trying to recall my Street Triple days (daze?). There was an occasional issue with the crank position sensor which would work when cold and fail when hot. The CPS is (sold as) part of the stator assembly, but Electrex will sell one on its own that you can solder in:

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-...2ehtml#SID=403

I don't recall what the resistance spec is but checking it hot versus cold would tell you if that's the culprit.
Shouldn't this thread be in "Bikes, talk and issues" ?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 06:43 PM   #7540
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
trying to recall my Street Triple days (daze?). There was an occasional issue with the crank position sensor which would work when cold and fail when hot. The CPS is (sold as) part of the stator assembly, but Electrex will sell one on its own that you can solder in:

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-...2ehtml#SID=403

I don't recall what the resistance spec is but checking it hot versus cold would tell you if that's the culprit.
Shouldn't this thread be in "Bikes, talk and issues" ?
Maybe, I'll quote it as a new post for anyone else who may find it useful.

Resistance/continuity on the stator pins is good, all show zero resistance between each other.
Same can't be said for the stator to neg terminal and engine case: it's got full continuity on all three pins, so shorting that way.
Running at idle I have two pairs of pins running 31v, one pair 25v.
At 4K rpm, two pairs bang on 70v, one is 80v.
Across the battery, idle 12.5v. 4K 13.3v.

I have changed the cps already from electrix world. They do a stator, or there's west coast windings but that takes two weeks, unless I can find someone closer to the NorthWest.

10 years and I still love the thing though.

Ste