SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-19, 11:47 PM   #1
Alexbeard

Default Difference between front and rear choke plungers

Hello everyone! I'm a new happy sv owner... well not so happy, because i have some issues with carbs. Ill try to make it easy to read and understand with my sh..ty english.

1. Bought a year 99 bike that was standing outside for a few years and needed some repairs. Low mileage, engine runs smooth, paintwork is good.
2. Did full service, all repairs and replacements, got MOT.
3. Choke was sticking... greased the cable, wiggled the cables where they go into carbs.
4. And I think at that moment problems started: loosing power, RPM's floating, fire shots from exhaust, especially when RPM's go down, sometimes it even stops running, but starts again easily with less power.
5. Checked the petrol tank, it had water at the bottom and some rust. Previous owner said he put some petrol in and its ok, so i just filled the tank with fresh petrol (stupid).
6. Cleaned and flushed the tank... didn't solved the problem.
7. Started taking carbs off to clean them, and found that spring on the rear choke plunger is corroded and fell apart.
8. Ordered new springs and rubber sealings for plungers.
9. While I'm waiting for them, I noticed, that rear plunger comes out a bit less than front one, I tried to pull it out, spraying wd inside. No chance it feels like it like it should be. But if i look into these holes for plungers in carbs, its obvious, that rear plunger wont reach the bottom of the hole when i release the choke.
Please help. If you dont understand what I say, I will try again.

Here is the difference between how far plungers going out.
Front plunger:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VFbl9QTWUwbEJR
Rear plunger:
http://photos.google.com/share/AF1Qi...VFbl9QTWUwbEJR
Alexbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 07:44 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Difference between front and rear choke plungers

Welcome to the forum and there is nothing wrong with your English and we don't make fun of people on their first post (we wait until the second).

I haven't owned a curvy (99-02 SV) for many years but from what I've read the choke cable assembly is prone to water ingress. You mention in #9 that you tried to pull the plunger out but it didn't feel like it should. It sounds like you have a problem with the cable itself or perhaps the splitter where the cable separates to go to each carb. I would replace the choke cable, there are some new ones on ebay for £12.

I should point out that I have a history of buying parts that I do not need.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 08:46 AM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Take the plungers and springs etc. off the cable and make sure it is moving freely. If in doubt get a new one as Seeker says. Check the seat of the choke plunger in the carb body, mine tends to accumulate rust in the front one for some reason. The running problems you describe do indeed sound like a stuck choke, a bad one.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 09:15 AM   #4
Alexbeard

Thanks for replies. I'll order new one and try to open and see what's inside the cable splitter for sake of science.
Alexbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 10:33 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbeard View Post
Thanks for replies. I'll order new one and try to open and see what's inside the cable splitter for sake of science.
Apart from having a Workshop manual I cross reference jobs using an online Partsfiche so Bookmark this,

https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/sparepart...999-1999?uID=0

I find it helps work things out on parts/sections I'm not familiar with
Old 27-07-19, 04:19 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Once you've fitted new choke cables and springs, and if it still doesn't tick over happily and doing all the things you've said, then it's probably time to have the carbs cleaned.

I did most of the things you did, after mine was left for a while, and wouldn't run right, wouldn't pull.

Had the carbs cleaned and back to running on both cylinders.

Front carb was blocked, due to the stuff they put in cheap fuel these days. When it was running the front header was noticeably cooler than it should have been
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote