SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-02-06, 08:25 PM   #1
GC-SV

Default Rossi to F.1 in 07???

Rossi 1 step closer to F.1.........

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35017

I still find it hard to believe that in this day and age riders could make the switch to F.1 and be competitive.
I hope he goes and proves me wrong.
It would be great to see him on four wheels.

Don't get me wrong, MotoGP is great with him, but even he has probably reached all his goals there.
Old 10-02-06, 09:58 PM   #2
Peter Henry

Funny Sete Gibernau thinks exactly the same as you!
Old 12-02-06, 08:37 PM   #3
kwak zzr

moto gp needs valo to leave now, and f1 needs him. he is a biking god and needs to go out in style. hes just waiting to see how the 06 car runs before he makes up his mind.
Old 12-02-06, 08:42 PM   #4
Peter Henry

Naaah,he will probably still be in Moto Gp next year to try and go out in style by winning the smaller class. However do not take that as a gimme with Melandri getting stronger by the race and a young lad with a record to match Rossi's to date in the lower classes, will then be looking to really kick ass. As good as Valentino has been he really will meet his match with Pedrosa if he stays around long enough.

Remember where you read it first.

I am not ruling out Biaggi-esque squawking from Rossi as he sees his throne slipping over the next year or so.
Old 12-02-06, 08:44 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Bah did you read this bit

Motorcycle News cites a “close personal friend” of Rossi saying the Italian surprised himself with how competitive he was against F1’s established stars – leaving him with a genuine dilemma over where his future lies.

They are basing it on an article in MCN, so it'll more than likely be cmplete and utter twaddle.

I seriously hope that this debate about him leaving doesnt detract from the racing in 2006

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 09:32 PM   #6
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Naaah,he will probably still be in Moto Gp next year to try and go out in style by winning the smaller class. However do not take that as a gimme with Melandri getting stronger by the race and a young lad with a record to match Rossi's to date in the lower classes, will then be looking to really kick ass. As good as Valentino has been he really will meet his match with Pedrosa if he stays around long enough.

Remember where you read it first.

I am not ruling out Biaggi-esque squawking from Rossi as he sees his throne slipping over the next year or so.
its not everyday you get offer'd a ferrari drive in f1. personaly i aint watched an f1 race in the whole of 05!! but i will be watching if he moves in 07.
Old 12-02-06, 09:35 PM   #7
Peter Henry

Much as I think that F1 is largely a highly paid circus.I would watch out of curiosity also. But turn in to an avid fan I never would. I like Rossi due to his biking exploits. My interest if he moves on would only be a passing one. The thought is rather interesting though I admit.
Old 12-02-06, 09:38 PM   #8
kwak zzr

agreed about Pedrosa tho, that kid is fast (a young rossi) a great rider he WILL be.
Old 13-02-06, 12:03 PM   #9
H62

This was on Crash.Net today.

Rossi needs Schumacher for F1 drive?

According to a report in the Italian press, MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi will only be considered for a 2007 Ferrari F1 drive if team leader, and seven times world champion, Michael Schumacher decides to continue racing next season.

"Rossi in F1, Michael decides" stated La Gazzetta dello Sport, explaining that the Italian team is only prepared to 'risk' having one new driver next season. "If Michael goes and (Kimi) Raikkonen takes his place, and is joined by Rossi, that means two drivers that are unproven at Ferrari. It is a risk Maranello doesn't want to take."

The article added that Schumacher will decide in June if he wants to extend his record breaking F1 career beyond 2006, but even if the German stays it is far from certain that Rossi will be offered a race seat alongside him.

"If (Schumacher's new team-mate) Felipe Massa continues as well as he has up to now (in testing), it will be difficult to give his seat to Rossi," added the 'paper.
Old 13-02-06, 12:30 PM   #10
Scooby Drew

I think the marketing potential of VR in F1 is not really measurable and wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari managed to squeeze him in, not withstanding the above comments, if he said 'Yes'.