SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-12-08, 02:59 PM   #1
Berlin

Default Are you claiming your 2.5% VAT?

Just wondered how many of you are tackling companies that have not altered their prices due to VAT coming down?

Everything seems to be stuck at the XX.99 price they were before the VAT change.

I'm having a great time with things like magazines that have the price printed on them that you can prove were the same price as before the drop.

Have you seem any differences?

The worst I've seen so far is a a tool I bought three weeks ago going up from the £9.99 I paid to 39.99 now! Now that's inflation!

I've even asked out window cleaner for the discount. I'll not tell you what he said
Old 16-12-08, 03:02 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Are you claiming your 2.5% VAT?

you seriously thought most shops would pass it on.

besides this was only a ploy to increase fuel duty without joe public rioting.
Old 16-12-08, 03:04 PM   #3
Stig

Most of the stores are hiding the VAT decrease as a 'sale'. It doesn't take much working out to realise the drop in price equates to the VAT discount.
Old 16-12-08, 03:08 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

There are certain circumstances where I am not too bothered. 2.5% isn't such a vast amount that I'm going to throw my toys out of the pram about it. I think food and living expenses must be dropped. But other things I don't mind about.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 03:11 PM   #5
mister c
Mega Poster

We have changed our prices to 15% vat, but we are a trade outlet, so all of our prices exclude VAT anyway, so it makes life easy
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 03:17 PM   #6
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post

I'm having a great time with things like magazines that have the price printed on them that you can prove were the same price as before the drop.

Until you come across some one (like me ) who knows that magazines (and books and newspapers) are zero rated...

so you've been conning the poor shop keepers out of pence each time!! The recession is all your fault!!!
Old 16-12-08, 03:30 PM   #7

yes, mostly,

however I am just trying to establish if my Estate agents invoice will be invoiced at 17.5% as I signed up to 3 months ago, or if it will be submitted to me at 15%... It should be 15% as it hasnt been raised yet! as that is a lot of cash not to get it back on..
Old 16-12-08, 03:55 PM   #8
MiniMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
yes, mostly,

however I am just trying to establish if my Estate agents invoice will be invoiced at 17.5% as I signed up to 3 months ago, or if it will be submitted to me at 15%... It should be 15% as it hasnt been raised yet! as that is a lot of cash not to get it back on..
I *think* though I am no means an accountant (I haven't got the necessary gelled back ginger hair for a start) that VAT is payable at the point of invoice and not the point of service delivery - when the estate agents raise their invoice they will be expected to pay the tax people their VAT (although in practice when they actually pay it will be dependent upon their accounting scheme), and they'll in turn charge you this money. The good thing here is that it's not in the estate agents interest to charge you 17.5%, they'll only have to pay that money to the tax man.

Unless they wanted to charge you 17.5% vat and pay the tax man 15% but that would be tax fraud and Customs & Excise are scary people not to be screwed with.
Old 16-12-08, 04:18 PM   #9
Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
The recession is all your fault!!!
What recession? We're not having a recession are we? You'd have thought there's be blanket coverage on the TV, radio and Newspapers if we were having a recession.

They want to be careful before they start anything like that or it'll be my fault that the country talks itself into one!

I think I'll have to pass the Buck to Mr Bush. I've not started any illegal wars that drive the price of oil to record highs for aaaages!

C
Old 16-12-08, 04:56 PM   #10
Baph

For the vast majority of things I buy, 2.5% off the price doesn't mean squat. I've noticed some shops (like Tesco for example) stating that the display prices will be amended auto-magically at the till. Though that makes good business sense (you don't have to re-print thousands of price tickets, employ people for the time it takes to change them yadda yadda), I haven't bothered checking one receipt!!

We're looking at buying a car though soon, and you can bet that I will be checking that receipt!!

2.5% of £10, you might as well forget about. 2.5% of £10,000... I think not!