SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 09-05-05, 01:54 PM   #1
SilverSV

Default Finally joined the "crashed" crew

Long time no see people. Made it 4 years almost to the day riding in this crazy town!

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=22689

Any of you able to share your opions as to the best/low-cost way to approach repairs as this is my first crash and plastic does not have the same auto-heal system that my body does!

Think I've destroyed the following:

Front mudguard
Nose fairing (both sides)
Left lower
My nice silver iridium double bubble screen
Left mirror
Left indicator
Left R&G Crash bung (seemed to just come out of it's socket!)
The bits of metal that hold the gear change on
Maybe some internal brackety bits that hold the headlights in

Best to try and sort it oneself or to take it to a garage to look at? If the latter, any recommendations? No idea yet if I'm going to get anything from his insurers or not.

Hope to catch up with you soon once I'm back on the road again.
Old 09-05-05, 02:11 PM   #2
lynw

have you contacted your insurers? if not you should do...

if so they should arrange with the 3rd parties insurers for an inspection of the vehicle... and then when you get the report back depends on what happens.

if theres a lot to do, theyll write it off allowing you to buy it for the salvage value as fixing it up yourself will be cheaper. Otherwise they should arrange to have it fixed.
Old 09-05-05, 02:23 PM   #3
SilverSV

Yep - insurers on the case. I'm just doing some groundwork now to cater for all eventualities as I'm only 3rd party, fire and theft and it is conceivable that his lot won't pay up. Thanks for that though.
Old 09-05-05, 03:21 PM   #4
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSV
Yep - insurers on the case. I'm just doing some groundwork now to cater for all eventualities as I'm only 3rd party, fire and theft and it is conceivable that his lot won't pay up. Thanks for that though.
yeah unless he was indicating before you went round him Id stick to your guns and say its his fault. I have found my letter, just need to get it uploaded onto here. Clearly he should have made mirror and shoulder check...

yeah... its in the highway code... shoulder checks to check for filtering motorbikes.... rule 135 as in: http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/14.htm
Old 09-05-05, 03:23 PM   #5
thor

rule 135

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/14.htm

Old 09-05-05, 03:25 PM   #6
lynw

its 'orrible when someone edits their post to include what youve just put there isnt it?
Old 09-05-05, 03:28 PM   #7
thor

Lol - sorry!
Old 09-05-05, 05:00 PM   #8
lynw

ok full filtering insurance letter now in biking issues... enjoy, cut and paste and get the diagram from the highway code [google will find it no probs] and see if it works for you...

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=22717
Old 10-05-05, 08:37 AM   #9
Magoo

SilverSV, was the guy indicating? Do you have any witnesses? Was there CCTV around?
If he was indicating then the best you are likely to get, from my experience, is 50-50. If he wasn't indicating but you don't have any witnesses then the same applies. If he wasn't indicating and you have a witness to this then they will still go for at the least 50-50 but you should kep fighting!

Good luck. I might have some bits for you at some point soon if you need new light set up. Keep me posted.

Magoo