SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-11-16, 10:19 AM   #1
Corny Gizmo

Question What is she worth

Hi guys,

I hate these threads but I'm after some advice, im looking to trade my 2014 SV650 SL2 in for a new bike pretty soon.

As it stands, my bike has 31k on it, reasonable condition for a daily commuter, and has a GSXR 750 shock. I have been offered £1900 trade in.

What do you guys think, I realise dealers always offer lower than I would get privately, but that seems low for a bike that hasnt had its 3rd birthday.
Old 21-11-16, 10:37 AM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: What is she worth

I'm likley to be selling my K8 privately and am expecting to get more than that. Mine does have about a third of your mileage and loads of extras added but even so I'd expect yours to be at least a couple hundred more than mine which will likely be listed about £2280. Dealers will always offer a lot less than real value, but they do have to make some on reselling it and pay VAT etc and they know people like the simplicity of a trade-in instead of selling privately, which can be a right pain sometimes.

Have a look at completed listings on eBay. I'd be tempted to at least try selling privately, although if you need a seamless transition from one bike to the next that can be tricky to co-ordinate unless you have an understanding buyer.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-16, 12:16 PM   #3
Corny Gizmo

Adam, Thats exactly it, I'm essentially loosing money for the sake of convenience.

I might have a word as with the £70-£80 extra on my insurance per month on the new bike its going to be difficult to afford. Anything extra I can get on the trade in would go into the deposit for the new bike to bring down my monthly payments.
Old 21-11-16, 01:27 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Wrong time of year to sell, but that should apply to the new bike too.The best advice is what you dont want to hear,and that is to keep your current bike saving the big losses you will get on depreciation and running costs on the new one.If that is an option you could always go for a hard deal or walk away?
Old 21-11-16, 01:45 PM   #5
tom_e

Even before the winter kicked in SVs weren't reaching any sort of great money to be honest, I wouldn't expect you to be able to get a great deal more privately.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-16, 01:52 PM   #6
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Are you going to be commuting through winter? If yes then wait and get the new one in spring
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-16, 03:05 PM   #7
Corny Gizmo

I would be commuting all year round yes, so probably best leaving it till the weather is better.
My worry then is how much the SV will be worth come march, with another few thousand miles on it.

Decisions decisions...

I also hit 25 in January, I suppose my insurance will come down then too?
Old 21-11-16, 04:48 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Maybe a little yeah
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-16, 06:24 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Depreciation on your SV between now and next March will be minimal compared to that on a new bike over the same time.Id carry on commuting on your SV unless you just must have something else right now.
Old 22-11-16, 12:55 PM   #10
Crawling Finn

I have a Gladius for similar use, similar mileage and similar age. The plan is to do 100K on it and sell it to breakers afterwards. Did that with my CBR600F and got £700 from the breakers. That's cheap miles for you. 100K miles is nothing for a bike when it clocked on reasonably quickly.
Crawling Finn is offline   Reply With Quote