SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-06-10, 08:18 AM   #1
cringer

Default BT023 or 2CT what tyre would you have and why?

Which would you have? The bike is at the garage now and having a service and 2 new tires. He stocks both tires and has recommended the bt023 as a longer life tire. Both the same price. I think the 2ct is the power but not sure. It's the more expensive ones anyway. It's a sv650 btw.

Last edited by cringer; 15-06-10 at 08:20 AM.
Old 15-06-10, 08:56 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bt023 or 2Ct whai tire would you have and why?

When I just got new tyres the Pilot Road 2's with 2CT tech were more than the Pilot Power 2CT, so its worth checking.

I just swapped from the BT021 which was a terrible tyre for me. There was just no feeling through the tyre and it sapped away all confidence. I just scrapped 5k out of the BT021's.

I fitted some Pilot Power 2CTs about a month ago and have done 1k on them so far and they are amazing, infinite amounts of grip and loads of feel through the front end, I've pushed them pretty hard and love them on the road... the downside is I may only get another 1000 to 1500 out of them.

For me, I would rather have the grip and feel otherwise there is no enjoyement for me.

I guess if you do alot of commuting you wont be wanting the Powers, you would be better off with the Road2s...either way don't get the bridgstones.
Old 15-06-10, 09:37 AM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Pilot Road 2's I'd go with. Have had the Pilot Powers on aswell and they were outstanding also. Pushed them pretty hard and not once have I had a concern for the tyre.

Pilot Road 2's are brilliant in the dry and outstanding in the wet, hardly have to adjust your riding style.

Can't say anything bad about Bridgestones as I have never had a bike with them however I have known a few people who have had bad experiences with them.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 09:46 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

of the two I'd probably go for the bridgestones, but only because it's been a few years since I've had any, so don't let that sway you at all, in truth I'd fit neither as I know which tyres work on the SV from experience and would rather fit something I know than possibly run the risk of having to spend a couple of months on something I didn't like.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 09:50 AM   #5
Sosha

Got the BT23s on my R6. Will be getting something else next time. Never used your option B. Have run Stradas & roadsmarts on the SV & would have either again.

edit: Actually a Strada rear/ Diablo front then a Roadsmart rear (because they were out of t'other). Whatever.

Last edited by Sosha; 15-06-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 15-06-10, 09:53 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

I have rose coloured memories of BT56SS's and was mortified when they stopped making them.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 10:04 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

My personal preference would be the power 2ct if that what he is on about. Had some unlesant experiences on brigestones before, vague feel, square off easily, no confidence in the wet. But not tried the 023. He is right to suggest that the 023 will give longer life over the power 2ct though.

Have a read of the tyre section a bit further down the site, plenty of threads and suggestions in there.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 10:14 AM   #8
cringer

I've rang the garage and it is pilot 2ct or bt023 so which would you have? I only do road riding touring by the way

Last edited by cringer; 15-06-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 15-06-10, 10:20 AM   #9
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer View Post
I've sang the garage and it is pilot 2ct or bt023 so which would you have? I only do road riding touring by the way
Tyre choice is hugely subjective, and nobody else rides like you do so it is very hard to make a recommendation. All other things being equal, I'd say go to a garage that can fit you some Avon Storms which are highly rated on here, and were the "best" tyres I had on my SV.

I have no direct experience of the choice you have, but in the dry both tyres you quote are probably more capable than you (or I), and wet feel is highly personal. Is there much difference in price at the garage?
Old 15-06-10, 10:20 AM   #10
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer View Post
I've rang the garage and it is pilot 2ct or bt023 so which would you have? I only do road riding touring by the way

They are both often refered to as Pilot 2CT... one is the Pilot 'Power' 2CT, the other is the Pilot 'Road' 2 (with CT tech). Tyre fitter confuse themselves over the wording...

If your just touring about and arn't going silly then the Pilot 'Road' 2 would be my first choice, if you just bimble about at the speed limit and don't push your tyres AND the BT023 are cheaper then get them.

If you think you ride a bit quicker than average and don't do starship mileage then the Pilot 'Power' 2CT would be my first choice

Last edited by G; 15-06-10 at 10:29 AM.
G is offline   Reply With Quote