SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-10-16, 05:10 PM   #11
Blapper

Default Re: loud exhausts save lives...

My SV is my avatar, it's bright red. I ride with lights on and had an old **** pull out on me. He said sorry I didn't see you, I said no, I'M sorry - you didn't actually look. I saw his car coming out of the side turning between parked cars and was on the brakes before he got in front of me. If I was going faster or not looking, things would be very different.

I came back from a ten year 'holiday' in France five years ago. Jeez, what a difference in traffic while I was away. The whole country feels like London used to now. To be honest, biking is sh*te these days.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 06:02 PM   #12
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
I came back from a ten year 'holiday' in France five years ago. Jeez, what a difference in traffic while I was away. The whole country feels like London used to now. To be honest, biking is sh*te these days.
I think it depends on where you ride. We're pretty blessed with good riding conditions here in Mid Wales generally, although the tourist season can be a bit frustrating at times, especially on weekends. As soon as you get off the main roads though, and onto the smaller roads it's possible to ride for miles and see next to nobody.

France is a good place to ride in my experience. Drivers are pretty on the ball and tend to indulge in fewer of the testosterone/ego induced driving antics than I see on roads here in Britain.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 07:46 AM   #13
Blapper

Ah yes, I am in north Kent. I drove up through Wales at speed once, it was faaabulous!

I agree the French are not overtly aggressive generally (in my experience), but they are pretty vacuous (like anywhere else) so need to be treated like cattle.

I find it usual to encounter probably at least one aggressive driver per hours journey around here though.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 10:09 AM   #14
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Deaf people drive as well.....
Old 05-10-16, 06:02 PM   #15
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Deaf people drive as well.....
As do people with sight deficiencies. Mild tunnel vision, for example. However you'd expect deaf people to look. Or not last long. Unlike fully able drivers who don't look or hear.

And a big rumbly twin with loud pipes... you don't have to hear it. You can feel it
Old 05-10-16, 06:18 PM   #16
Toooldtodie

Try blipping the throttle between two vans! They act like sounding boards! Priceless. It even works with cars, they generally move over or suffer hearing loss, but I do thank them for their courtesy!
Old 06-10-16, 12:10 PM   #17
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
As do people with sight deficiencies. Mild tunnel vision, for example. However you'd expect deaf people to look. Or not last long. Unlike fully able drivers who don't look or hear.

And a big rumbly twin with loud pipes... you don't have to hear it. You can feel it
I'm all for the argument.
I changed my OE pipe straight after the 500 service.
"It's a safety device" I told her indoors....
Old 06-10-16, 04:33 PM   #18
madcockney

You will find that in different parts of the UK people drive differently, and it can vary in as much as ten miles. I believe that we are all responsible for our own safety so should never rely on anybody else and assume that people whether on bikes or in cars often make mistakes or do not even think. Looking for and searching for other vehicles and hazards is something that needs to be learnt and not just told. I am pretty sure that our eyes and brain have a natural focusing distance and hence why some near vehicles are missed, though sometimes the driver/rider just forgets we are there.

And I do not believe that loud pipes save lives. What they will do is **** off pedestrians and local residents, but in a car, especially where they have the insulation of the vehicle plus any on board sound system, that is virtually impossible to hear. Ask yourself what way the pipes point and what direction are the cars going. I like the sound of different cans but that is a personal preference, but they don't have to be excessively loud to do that. I never delude myself that they are any form of safety device or precaution.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-16, 09:59 AM   #19
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcockney View Post
And I do not believe that loud pipes save lives.
We are all entitled to our opinions. Personally, as a regular pedestrian, I can hear
a motorcycle quite some distance away when approaching me. Obviously the louder the exhaust, the further away you can hear it. You can often tell what type of bike it is before even seeing it. You can also get an idea of how fast it's approaching, whether it's accelerating or cruising, etc. Useful information.

However I agree there are limits beyond where it's simply anti-social noise pollution, and can be quite scary and/or intimidating. There was a large scooter with a loud pipe being impatient behind a van this morning and it sounded horrendous. Not sure whether it was the tone, the volume or the aggressive use that made it sound nasty.
Old 07-10-16, 05:08 PM   #20
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
We are all entitled to our opinions. Personally, as a regular pedestrian, I can hear
a motorcycle quite some distance away when approaching me. Obviously the louder the exhaust, the further away you can hear it. You can often tell what type of bike it is before even seeing it. You can also get an idea of how fast it's approaching, whether it's accelerating or cruising, etc. Useful information.

However I agree there are limits beyond where it's simply anti-social noise pollution, and can be quite scary and/or intimidating. There was a large scooter with a loud pipe being impatient behind a van this morning and it sounded horrendous. Not sure whether it was the tone, the volume or the aggressive use that made it sound nasty.
Very true Ophic.
You can bimble with a loud zorst and I do that in residential areas and near pedestrians, dogs and esp. horses (clutch in and coast).
Just can't give up the pop, rumble on the overrun... addict!