SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-10, 05:37 PM   #1
JediT243

Unhappy New 08 SV650S rattle noise

Hey all, I'm new to this forum as I just got my new SV650 a few weeks ago. From the day I got it, I noticed an odd rattling noise coming from the front left of the bike, only while in gear, and only while accelerating from 2500 to 5000rpm, beyond that the engine is too loud to hear it. I took it back to the shop I got it from, and the service tech being in a hurry rode it around the building and admitted to hearing the noise, but not sure what it was claiming it could be an exhaust leak or just "the valves", well I took his certified word for it although in my opinion the noise should of been present in neutral as well. Anyway I rode it for about 130 miles thinking this is simply a new engine break-in issue, but that's before the rattling got louder. I decided to take it back and insist they found the cause of the sound. On my way there I took a nasty spill on a road I've been on plenty going an average speed. I lucked out with only some nice road rash since my dumbass only had tshirt and cargo shorts on. Anyway to me it felt like the bike ceased up on me or something cause it straight lowsided on me. I decided to take it to a different shop to have them check it. They also notice the sound, yet can not figure it out.. claiming its "probably normal drivechain noise" and Vtwins have louder valvetrains... I'm still absolutely lost on the issue and any input from anyone familiar with the issue would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-10-10, 08:34 PM   #2
warrenhewitt10

Default Re: New 08 SV650S rattle noise

the valves on the sv are noisy in general, but just check the usual things such as chain tension... and that all the nuts and bolts are tight
Old 01-10-10, 09:35 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

More than likely cam chain tensioner rattling, they all do that. If thats all it is, just a metally rattle coming from the bike, then whilst annoying it isnt anything specific to worry about. Loud knocking and thumping though is.

Have a search theres plenty of threads on the subject. See if the symptoms sound like the noise you are hearing.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 10:18 PM   #4
JediT243

Thx for the post replies guys. I have done a little bit of research on here and have also narrowed it down to the cam chain tensioner, but I wouldn't know why it would be faulty on brand new sv, and wonder if it was the cause of the wreck wouldn't the valves have thrashed through the pistons?.. I also realize that the valves are bigger and therefore louder then on I4s, but the rattling comes only in gear while accelerating..
Old 01-10-10, 10:29 PM   #5
MadGaz

I've got a similar noise on my bike, only while in gear and accelerating. My bike did the noise from new I figured it was just running in, after 2000 miles I took it in but they couldnt find the problem. Having my 4000 miles service done tomorrow I told them to have another look as it's still making the noise, my dad says it sounds like a dry bearing I can't describe it myself.
Old 01-10-10, 10:40 PM   #6
JediT243

I thought the same thing myself, that it might be a bearing that was to blame for the noise and my unlucky wipeout, but the bike still rolls, so I doubt it.. unless wheel bearings can just temporarily cease up when close to going bad.. its odd thought since it was a new 08 leftover with 0 miles.. I did notice a little bit of rust on the gastank bolts and a little on the front forks which could have run down from those bolts, but this indicates that they were frequently displaying it outside, and its real humid here in fl.. idk if rust could have come about in areas that I don't want, such as my wheel bearings?...
Old 01-10-10, 10:47 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

OK,
There's a few possibly culprits for the noise, but bike engines do make some noise so my thoughts are as follows:

1) Whatever the noise is, it seems unlikely to have been a factor in your off.

2) The best way to determine if a noise is normal is to listen to another bike of equivalent type and see if it sounds the same. There have been cases of people describing a noise over the internet and being assured the engine needed work, when it was sounding quite normal. There have also been people assured "they all sound like that" shortly before a failure. With so few miles on it, provided the oil level is correct I'd be very surprised if there was anything to worry about.

Jambo
Old 01-10-10, 11:01 PM   #8
JediT243

I know its absolutely impossible to diagnose anything through just word of mouth. Whats a loud noise to one may be not so loud to another.. I wish a had another sv to compare with in person, as if this is a normal sound I might be quite unimpressed.. I had a buell xb9 before this and as I know it a completely different bike/motor: long stroke with heavy components and quite loose tolerances, I would have expected the overhead valvetrain in it to contribute to a much louder motor sound then the much refined sv650..
Old 01-10-10, 11:19 PM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

Find another SV (in the USA you may want to look at svrider.com for more local contacts).

The SV and Buel are mechanically very different, not least in terms of valve train drive.

Once you've established that the noise is normal, fit a loud exhaust or wear earplugs

Jambo
Old 02-10-10, 12:07 AM   #10
Sally

Mine does it, and has done it since new. At ~ 700 miles now!

Didn't hear it so much on my last Sv, or the one before!

Got it checked out, and was told thats just how the engines are.