SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-04, 11:25 AM   #1
clanger

Default Cheesed off by British Eurosport???

Am I the only race enthusuast to get extremely cheesed off when the tv directors on British Eurosport show really stupid shots when a GP or WSB race is on? For example:
1. the shot looking at the rider changing up and down gears
2. the shot looking at the rider pulling in the clutch lever
3. the shot looking up at the rider's face (usually a dark visor!)
4. the shot looking at the riders bottom
5. the shot of the winner after crossing the finishing line, despite there being a very exciting 3, 4, 5th etc place finish

It makes my blood boil, I end up shouting at the tv screen.....

My other bug bear is the lack of track noise on some circuits...I wanna hear the grunt of the bikes during the tv race...luckily we have Randy who sometimes leaves his mic on as the bikes thunder past him!

Is there anything we can do, enmass? A big petition for the tv directors of Eurosport to get their acts together and show the viewer what we want to see...not what he/she thinks we want to see.

I have looked on their website and have come up with an email address only: enquires@eurosports.co.uk
But we could really do with a mass petition UK wide & the name of the responsible person/s. Anyone know the channels in which to start this???
Old 11-10-04, 11:28 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Ok, I may be wrong but I believe that all sports channels have to work with 1 feed form the organisers etc. Try recording a BBC2 & Eurosport coverage of 1 race and I think you'll find the camera angles are all the same and the commentators just say what they're seeing.
Old 11-10-04, 11:28 AM   #3
Gforceuk

its all sponser related though. so the helmet sponsers ect would want the head shots and stuff... but yep some of the cameras are awful.
Old 11-10-04, 11:38 AM   #4
SteveR

It does annoy me when they just concentrate on the front runners and miss the action lower down the field.
I guess this is the diffrence between going to the race and watching on TV.
At the circuit you get to see all riders on just part of the track, while on TV you see 4 or 5 riders all round the track.
I'm amazed they still use >>4. the shot looking at the riders bottom <<
after using it on Rossi's Honda (last year) - He wheelied the bike and the camera looked straight at his bum halo'd by a bright sun - and Eurosport just fell about laughing 'so that's where Honda think the sun shines from'

I bet they don't think that now !
Old 11-10-04, 01:15 PM   #5
clanger

I know that the commentators are often erked by it all too - you can hear Toby often saying, its nice that we are watching these guys, but there is a real battle going on in xx position and we hear about it but dont see it. They say its down to the directors chosing which bit to show at which point. Perhaps if they were real bike enthusiasts the story would be a totally different one!

If at the track in person, you only see the stretch you are at.....hence I prefer to watch on the tv.
Old 11-10-04, 02:03 PM   #6
Cronos

I'm a big fan of Sky's interactive coverage of EPL football, but Moto GP, BSB or WSB is much more suited to covering multiple points of action at the same time. Wouldn't that be nice?

Maybe one day.....
Old 11-10-04, 08:01 PM   #7
chutz

Default it could be worse...there could be ADVERTS!!!

I agree with some of the points but what really gets my goat are the f*****g adverts!!! In the middle of a great race they show adverts and miss stuff like Rossi crashing last week.Unforgivable
Old 12-10-04, 10:54 AM   #8
DrBob

What does my head in is Randy constantly going on about 'Body English' and not paying attention when Jules or Toby ask him a question and they have to repeat it 5 times.
Old 12-10-04, 05:45 PM   #9
kinesin

Eurosport coverage just rocks tho.. For SURE!

Toby, Julian know their stuff, Randy is spot on with his body english and it's great having his ex-racing experience. The ohter two just work so well together, having fun, sometimes funny, taking the **** out of each other, ,much better than the bland BBC/South Africa coverage etc.

Eurosport bike coverage is the only reason I have any cable/sky TV in my house.

The TV feed comes from the circuit via a local director, hence sometimes missing the action at the back/front. On the subject of strange views, I like them, for sure. Sometimes those strange shots get the bests, the whole closeness of racing. Not to mention the rider sliding around the floor their have just dropped it.
Old 12-10-04, 05:52 PM   #10
DrBob

But it's body language...for sure. That phrase drives me insane, bring back Dennis Noyes I say.