SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 26-03-05, 10:58 PM   #1
cassius

Default I can't decide!

i'm hoping for some advice. ive got an sk2 which i use regularly (about 10,000miles a year on mainly straight roads) i am currently running metz z6 tyres and have done about 9,000 miles on them including a trackday. I feel that because they arent wearing i 'm worried that they may be too harder compound. I've got a trackday at silverstone in may and now i'm more confident i hope to be able to go a bit quicker but i dont want to get flicked off (obviously) so i can't decide whether to get some sportec m1's (expected to last 3,500 miles) or whether to stick to the ultra high mileage z6's. has anyone had any problems with z6's on track and does anyone else agree that the z6's are too hard?
Old 28-03-05, 09:38 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: I can't decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius
i'm hoping for some advice. ive got an sk2 which i use regularly (about 10,000miles a year on mainly straight roads) i am currently running metz z6 tyres and have done about 9,000 miles on them including a trackday. I feel that because they arent wearing i 'm worried that they may be too harder compound. I've got a trackday at silverstone in may and now i'm more confident i hope to be able to go a bit quicker but i dont want to get flicked off (obviously) so i can't decide whether to get some sportec m1's (expected to last 3,500 miles) or whether to stick to the ultra high mileage z6's. has anyone had any problems with z6's on track and does anyone else agree that the z6's are too hard?
seeing as I know these tyres pretty well, I'll give you my thoughts.

The Z6's with the right pressures are awesome, better than the bridgestones and less involved than the Azaro's, that said for most of us mortals they would be more than enough on a trackday, they heat-up in a fairly short time and give good predictable grip, working well with the SV.

You want better, then don't play around with M1's, get a set of Rennsports, just don't expect them to last over a couple of thousand miles.

You don't say how experienced you are, but having done a couple of years club racing on short circuits and a few more off road, ridden bikes for over 30 years, I'd say unless you know how to use allot of tyre feedback (which most don't, they just feel unnerving) then the Z6 would be my recommendation, the SV isn't going to need more, the limiting factor will be (in order) 1. the rider / 2. the bike / 3. the tyres.

Other info,
Like the Azaro's, good sidewall flex, but you have to know how to use it.

Bridgstones, OK, although turn in a little slower, but do inspire confidence, if that's what you need.

Dunlop 207's, you need to be committed to use these well.

Unless you are a riding God, you'd be wasting your money, as the Z6's are more than capable.

and if you are a riding god, which tyres do you recommend?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote