SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-04-06, 08:17 PM   #1
Knaapie

Default New front fork mod - cartridge-like internals

Finally reserved some time to write something about my new fork mod. After my failed front fork conversion project (damn ebay...) I wanted to go with the Traxxion emulator drop-in kit. I just wasn't happy with different springs. However, on a bike show I ran into a suspension company here in Holland that told me that they sold a cartridge kit for the SV650.

I decided to go with the cartridge kit instead of the emulators as the suspension company (HK Suspension) gave me good price and there are no bike shops over here that have experience with emulators. When using this kit the damper rod system is replaced by a closed cartridge with a rebound and compression piston, just like in catridge forks. Unfortunately there are no adjustment possiblities other than the spring preload on the included fork caps, but they told me the kit is made to customer specifications like weight and riding style. It comes with liniair springs as well.

Had the kit installed by them about two weeks ago. Only have done highway miles up til now and I really need to get a new front tire (Pirelli Diablo), but the first impression is excellent!!!

I had Hyperpro springs with 15W oil and a 140 mm air chamber. The compression damping is now stiffer than before, but comfortable for normal riding as well. At the same time the rebound is much quicker (just a little slower than the compression damping), but not jumpy at all. Way, way better than I had, thats for sure!!! The bike also feels much more planted on the road. I think I also got rid of the "kloink" noise on heavy compression.

And perhaps the best part is that this kit is using 5W(!!) oil instead of the 20W oil that is often used with the emulators. So in theory the damping should be a lot more consistent than it was, even when the temperature rises or drops.

I really can't wait until my first trackday at Assen at the end of april and see how the kit works on the track. I'll keep you people posted!!

Oh, the kit is available for several damper rod fork bikes like the Yamaha FZ6, Honda Hornet 600, Kawasaki 750, 1000 and the ER6 as well.

What came out:

What went in and on:

Old 09-04-06, 08:29 PM   #2
sprocket

That looks good dood. How much did the kit cost in total if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-04-06, 07:24 PM   #3
Knaapie

I don't mind at all, thats what this forum is for right? The kit costs 350 euros (242 pounds) and mounting costed me 75 euros (52 pounds). So little under 300 pounds total.

For me the costs were less than buying a emulator set-up. As I already mentioned, in Holland there is no shop that's really familiar with the emulators so mounting and setting it up would cost me a lot of cash.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, let me know.
Old 11-04-06, 09:25 PM   #4
daddy_sperm

thats the exact same kit as I have fitted in my bike now great set up

Although mine was far too hard until i removed the white nylon spacer. Now it feels planted, responsive and confidence inspiring have fun...
Old 12-04-06, 09:33 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Pretty cool... Impressive price as well. Do you know who actually makes the kits? HK's site's in Furrin
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 09:48 AM   #6
Grinch

That does look good... might be a idea for when I get my insurance payout.
Old 12-04-06, 09:57 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

£300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blimey
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 12:16 PM   #8
daddy_sperm

kit costs that here, fitting/ setup extra unless you do it yourself..
Old 12-04-06, 07:09 PM   #9
Robw#70

Is that a Bitubo kit?,
Matris do a kit with very similar preload adjusters,But cartridges are nanodised black, can get them for around £400
Old 12-04-06, 07:22 PM   #10
Robw#70

Just looked at the pics and they're not Matris, here's a link, SV type are the bottom ones

http://www.twobros-japan.com/matris/news/

I've got a disc with all the bumph on them and press pics, but it all needs re-sizing to get on the net, but they're £700 for 'proper' cartridge kits which have thrust bearings on the spring seats and replacement compression adjusters and £400 for the damper rod type which is essentially a cartridge conversion, but not adjustable only by re-shimming.