SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-07-11, 08:16 PM   #1
Mid_life_crisis

Default Faring offset issue on K9

As my first bike I have purchased a SV650S K9 with full farings. I have had the bike for 6 weeks and I have noticed that the offset on the farings is not central or equaly spaced. I have examined a new bike at SMC Sheffield and these farings are central and balanced. Therefore there must be something wrong. On my buke the O/S faring is flush to the frame while the N/S has a clearance of around 40mm. I have removed the N/S faring and all I can see is that the crash bung offset bracket is not fitting flush to the frame. However it will not adjust due to a spacer bar that sits in the frame and butts against the engine. I have a theory: Is the N/S spacer bar a different length to the O/S and for some reason these have beeen mixed up. Can anyone shed any light on this ?
Old 06-07-11, 08:25 PM   #2
Webber

Default Re: Faring offset issue on K9

Bracket could be bent? After i dropped mine my right knee can now touch the fairing but left is not near it at all.

Never bothered me much so not bothered to straiten it up but will do come time to sell.

Pictures might shed light on any other issues it could be.
Old 06-07-11, 08:33 PM   #3
Mid_life_crisis

As i recall there has always been this offset difference. However, I did make the cardinal sin of trying to set off with my disc lock fitted so the bike has been dropped on the N/S but i am sure this has not added or cuased the issue. Me dropping the bike was caught on our security camera at work, it does make me laugh now but i was very ****ed off at the time. If you want a look click on the link http://www.break.com/usercontent/201...h-test-2071735
Old 07-07-11, 08:15 AM   #4
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid_life_crisis View Post

Go post that here! http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...08114&page=411

Last edited by -Ralph-; 07-07-11 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-07-11, 01:05 PM   #5
badsaboy

I bought the K8 and when I removed the fairings to install r&g crash bungs my fairings became offset. I tryed for ages playing with the brackets on the radiator. My crash bung bracket also had a poor fit after the install. When I took it to spannerman for a service he's sidekick bill did a good job and straightened it for me. Morale of the story -I think they can be put back to normal just it will just take some trying. good luck.
Old 10-07-11, 09:52 AM   #6
Mid_life_crisis

Problem solved. The crash bung brackets are different lengths. The O/S is longer to allow clearance for the water pump. Swapping the brackets around has balanced the farings, sorted.