SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Where do you keep your tax disc and have you been nicked?
Displayed and in date for all to see/steal 57 78.08%
Under the seat, never had any problems 13 17.81%
Under the seat, got into trouble for it. 0 0%
KeithD 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-02-09, 10:07 AM   #1
Warthog

Default Definitive tax disc display poll

I've been searching around and can't really find a definitive answer as to whether it is ok to hide your tax disc under your seat. My tax disc just got nicked off my bike but luckily it was out of date. The holder also got nicked so I am now forced to be a member of the under-the-seat- brigade. But will I get into trouble?

Prace bets now!!!
Old 17-02-09, 10:16 AM   #2
speedplay

Default Re: Definitive tax disc display poll

Display your tax disc

Display a tax disc on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.

Pinched from here:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10021514
Old 17-02-09, 10:17 AM   #3
petevtwin650

Hi Nick,

Thank goodness it was only an old disc. You leave your bike in a public bike park during the day or on the street at night? If so I would say you run the risk of some jobsworth doing you for "Failure to display"

Cos we don't leave the bike for long in public places we have, so far touch wood, got away with it.
Old 17-02-09, 10:17 AM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Mines displayed in a concealed position.. if that makes sence.
i.e. the tax holder is turned so its behind a panel
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 10:32 AM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I keep mine at home. Although I might get round to displaying a copy.
Stopped 3 times on this bike & more so before & never had the subject raised - although I would never consider riding without actually being taxed.

I Don't park it in the street very much at all.

So what am I supposed to vote

They nicked an out of date tax disc you sure it didn't just fall off?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 10:43 AM   #6
ethariel

I keep mine in my jacket pocker (in a holder funnily enough), the one on the bike is about 2 or 3 years ols now and a photocopy to boot.

Had a spate of disk and plate thefts from my area so after the 3rd one was nicked (and painfull experience reporting it to lewisham nick for a 3rd time and wanting yet another crime number off them) i just gave up.

Takes the pi$$ too that if its nicked you have to PAY to get it replaced /boggle
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 10:47 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

I have had one tax disc knicked, so i bought a better holder and to date its never been touched. Mine is on the nearside on the chain guard bolt slid being the heel plate. Its visible.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 10:56 AM   #8
Warthog

One thing I am thinking here: if the DVLA know online that your bike is taxed, and your tax disc has your registration on it so it can't be used on any other vehicle, why can't you just get a free replacement sent out if someone nicks it? I mean, its more of a certificate of proof nowadays than an actual valuable item?

Pete: It ran out over the time that it was parked, so technically there were a few days left. It was under a cover and I looked on the ground everywhere. It might have fallen off but I can't see any evidence of it. Who knows.

I park on the street overnight, so I guess there is a very high chance of a traffic guy seeing my bike at some point. I guess I will get a new holder. Can I display a photocopy or is that just as bad?
Old 17-02-09, 12:01 PM   #9
Ceri JC

I've always displayed mine, never had it nicked, touch wood.

It's bonkers that tax discs are required these days. When they're so happy to rely on linked databases for DVLA registrations, insurance, MOT etc. why not just throw tax into the mix? ANPR/coppers would be able to tell from your plate whether you're taxed or not, so no need to for physical tax discs to exist at all IMO.
Old 17-02-09, 12:22 PM   #10
speedplay

I noticed that the disc was missing from the mrs car this week and asked her about it.
She didnt even realise that it was gone
I know it was on there as i stuck it to the screen myself 3 weeks ago.
Jenn has a bit of a habit of forgetting to lock her car so I know where its gone...
Although its registered as being taxed with the dvla, she still stands a chance of being pulled for failure to display.
It just seems to be a farce or even just a money making scheme making people pay £7 for a replacement.