SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-07, 10:54 PM   #1
Ratty46

Default suspension set up

hey guys n girls

after posting about my tankslap and afetr reading all the advice i've decided to try and set up teh suspension for my weight, as most have recommneded.

at the moment teh front is on settting 3 an the rear is on 6 i beileve it should be on 4?

if it helps i weigh 9.5-10 stone and i'm 5.10.

any advice on what settings i should be on? i'm new to big bikes so help is very appreciated

PS- at work-no time to search!
Old 31-08-07, 02:50 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: suspension set up

Search for PReload or setting sag. It's far better to set this correctly for you then just to run numbers off, but IIRC the standard setting for the rear on an S is 4th setting available (counting up from the lowest setting available)
Old 31-08-07, 04:39 PM   #3
Captain Nemo

if the suspension seems too harsh you need to eat more kebabs, you weigh nowt lad..............

worked for me, , , ,kind of
Old 31-08-07, 06:10 PM   #4
Ratty46

had a little search around, think i'm slowly getting my head round it all!

6 1/2 stone....go on fella
Old 31-08-07, 07:24 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Search for PReload or setting sag. It's far better to set this correctly for you then just to run numbers off, but IIRC the standard setting for the rear on an S is 4th setting available (counting up from the lowest setting available)
Indeed, this is the only true way to do it. But if you want ballpark at ~9st you will probably not be too far off with the default setting ...
Old 02-09-07, 09:56 PM   #6
Ratty46

cheers dude,much appreciated!
Old 02-09-07, 09:58 PM   #7
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
if the suspension seems too harsh you need to eat more kebabs, you weigh nowt lad..............

worked for me, , , ,kind of
I hear Ya,.....

or get a GSXR1000 shock on the rear.....
Old 03-09-07, 07:49 AM   #8
MiniMatt

Ok, I'm a couple of pies under 9 stone and 5'5". Personally, the best I've gotten after mucho fiddling has been 4 on the front (one "softer" than stock) and 4 on the rear (stock).

Stock is 3 at the front, 4 at the back.

If you find the toolkit C-spanner can't adjust the rear properly as it fouls the mudguard or toolkit box get a ratchet fit C-spanner from Busters Accessories - it's ace - http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...prod=MMCSPAN38

Damping is still a bit pants, cartridge emulators are my next job.

Note for the pedants: I know "soft" is not the correct term for preload, it's just easiest for folks to visualise.
Old 04-09-07, 01:55 AM   #9
Ratty46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
Ok, I'm a couple of pies under 9 stone and 5'5". Personally, the best I've gotten after mucho fiddling has been 4 on the front (one "softer" than stock) and 4 on the rear (stock).

Stock is 3 at the front, 4 at the back.

If you find the toolkit C-spanner can't adjust the rear properly as it fouls the mudguard or toolkit box get a ratchet fit C-spanner from Busters Accessories - it's ace - http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...prod=MMCSPAN38

Damping is still a bit pants, cartridge emulators are my next job.

Note for the pedants: I know "soft" is not the correct term for preload, it's just easiest for folks to visualise.

cheers for that matt, i really need to sort it out as its twitchyness is getting really annoying! does nothing for my confidence in corners and over bumps etc
Old 06-09-07, 09:04 AM   #10
ThEGr33k

Well ive had to increase my rear recently (well then i reduced it a little). its 2 steps off of top, i had it on top for a short while but that didnt work out, it turned good but wasnt too confident in the corners, now the rear feels better. i weigh 10,1 (68Kg).

What im wondering is if anyone knows at what milage the rear shocker gets tired enough to change. Ive had the bike 2 years now and done 21000 miles in all weathers, the shocker is pretty rusted :S.

I was thinking to change it and go for a ohlins.

As for the front im thinking maybe that is also a little tired as it dives a lot even when i just shut off the power thats on the standard 3. I was thinking of changing the fron forks to GSXR k5's but with the speedo drive problem im not too sure as there is no easy fix for this that i know of...