SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 20-01-08, 05:16 PM   #31
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Open pitlane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
Blue, weren't you out 90% of the time on your first one though? You're obviously super fit!

That Brands day looks tempting, think I'll keep an eye on the weather though before booking
Well yes I am/was!!

Lets face it, I don't know the actual percentages, but as soon as I had re-couped I was back out again!! Seemed I was out there all day! LOVED it!

I guess in reality it wasn't anywhere near 90% ... but it felt like it as I was always out!!!
Old 20-01-08, 06:52 PM   #32
markmoto

This sounds like an ace idea will defo be partaking in one of these soon.
Old 21-01-08, 12:07 AM   #33
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Well yes I am/was!!

Lets face it, I don't know the actual percentages, but as soon as I had re-couped I was back out again!! Seemed I was out there all day! LOVED it!

I guess in reality it wasn't anywhere near 90% ... but it felt like it as I was always out!!!
Yep, when I did Nurbugring we were out for 40 minutes, in for 5-10 for a bottle of water and out again. You can certainly do it and you get a much better rythm going. Should be good.
Old 22-01-08, 08:38 AM   #34
pmapp
Mega Poster

New Email from No Limits with a few more open pit lane days...........

OPEN PIT LANE TRACK DAYS. Due to the popularity of Dates released so far we have added more tracks & dates to this popular format:
*Mallory Park – 16th Feb - £75
*Snetterton – 2nd March - £115
*Cadwell Park – 2nd March - £115
*Brands Indy- 15th March - £165
And remember these days are not suitable for first timers.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-08, 09:06 PM   #35
Balky001
Mega Poster

Focused doesn't have the Brands 10th Feb on their website! Did anyone book? Has it been moved as I see they have a ?165 one for March
Old 24-01-08, 12:14 AM   #36
monkey

Good idea. Think I'll stick to the normal ones for now. Is it normal for a partial noob to not be able to walk properly after a full day? I can see the advantages and disadvantages of having an open pit lane. I have brown panty moments on a normal day in Novice! He he he. Let's hope the new steed sorts those out.
Old 24-01-08, 07:44 AM   #37
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
Good idea. Think I'll stick to the normal ones for now. Is it normal for a partial noob to not be able to walk properly after a full day? I can see the advantages and disadvantages of having an open pit lane. I have brown panty moments on a normal day in Novice! He he he. Let's hope the new steed sorts those out.
I think if a punter has done a few trackdays and able to hold a reasonable pace, an open pitlane is an ideal opportunity for them to start playing with things like suspension. To enable them to get the confidence to go that bit quicker still Being able to go out, do a few laps, come in and twiddle and go STRIGHT out is a real bonus. A back-to-back test is the only real way to effectively twiddle ...

If you are like me and just love to be out there (I am normally champing at the bit when the other sessions are out, particularly the one just before mine), it is certainly beneficial to have open pitlane.
Old 26-01-08, 06:31 PM   #38
Red Herring
Mega Poster

There is another advantage of the open pit lane format that may have been overlooked and that is the opportunity for coaching and learning. With fixed sessions track time is limited so people are reluctant to do a few laps, come in and talk about it, then go out again. There just isn't time in a typical session. With an open pit lane it is easy and there is no pressure to rush anything. The points about mixing different levels don't seem to cause a problem providing everybody is sensible. I'm fortunate to be in a group that hires various circuits for ourselves and we frequently get newbies and friends come along who have no track experience whatsoever. If they are particularly nervous we give them a bib to wear so everybody can spot them and give them a slightly wider berth but few wear them beyond the first morning. What the new guys do say is that by having an open pit lane the experienced riders are much more willing to donate their time to showing them around between blats (I usually take two bikes to give my race bike a bit of a rest) and overall it provides for a much more relaxing day. Unfortunately it is rarely done by the professional organisers is it means they can't fit as many riders in (most circuits have a maximum of 30-40 riders allowed).
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-08, 06:50 PM   #39
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
There is another advantage of the open pit lane format that may have been overlooked and that is the opportunity for coaching and learning. With fixed sessions track time is limited so people are reluctant to do a few laps, come in and talk about it, then go out again. There just isn't time in a typical session. With an open pit lane it is easy and there is no pressure to rush anything. The points about mixing different levels don't seem to cause a problem providing everybody is sensible. I'm fortunate to be in a group that hires various circuits for ourselves and we frequently get newbies and friends come along who have no track experience whatsoever. If they are particularly nervous we give them a bib to wear so everybody can spot them and give them a slightly wider berth but few wear them beyond the first morning. What the new guys do say is that by having an open pit lane the experienced riders are much more willing to donate their time to showing them around between blats (I usually take two bikes to give my race bike a bit of a rest) and overall it provides for a much more relaxing day. Unfortunately it is rarely done by the professional organisers is it means they can't fit as many riders in (most circuits have a maximum of 30-40 riders allowed).
That has just sparked off a thought ... has anyone got a bike-to-bike comms set-up??? ... how useful would that be to give/receive 'on the fly' feedback!!
Old 26-01-08, 07:36 PM   #40
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
That has just sparked off a thought ... has anyone got a bike-to-bike comms set-up??? ... how useful would that be to give/receive 'on the fly' feedback!!
ASM-Forever: "Blue get out of my way....you're slowing me down"

Very useful indeed.