SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-17, 09:47 AM   #61
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Motorcycle Insurance 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
"Risk of"? That rules out November to March! When I went down it was sunny and warm but one little shadow from one building where there was a draft across the road and BAM! It's the first time in 45 years since I felt ice under my tyres (younger and stronger then) so if you think you have got it all sussed out, I can assure you that a rude awakening to the fact that you don't have superpowers is waiting for you.
Yeah, then their is always Diesel and other stuff on the road, It would be nice to think every bike had a crystal ball display that would let you know what is gonna happen 24/7, and with experience you can foresee most stuff, but there will always be unforeseen stuff - and we all know hindsight is the only exact science in the universe 20/20 every time.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 12:10 PM   #62
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
here it is from an impeccable source - The Times

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu...lide-2td5mp8lv
Can't read the article without subscribing but thanks for the link. Let's just agree that it's a silly idea and hope it won't be implemented.
Old 03-03-17, 06:28 PM   #63
aesmith

On modifications I've found that online quotes all fail if you tick crash bungs or similar. And another nonsense, insurers now all seem to load premiums if you want to carry a pillion, but then penalise if you fit a cowl in place of the pillion seat.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 07:14 PM   #64
yokohama

I've given up trying to fathom it out. On mine, with or without pillion made no difference to the premium; neither did adding commuting.
On a similar note, I rang my car insurers to add my wife as a named driver, thinking I'd have to pay an admin fee. Actually, they ended up crediting me as the reduction for adding her was more than the admin fee. So, logically(??), adding a second/named driver can reduce your motor insurance rather than increase it.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 11:18 AM   #65
Heorot

Might be due to the type of claims men and women make. When I was the claims handler for a fleet, proportionally women made more claims but they were mostly for minor incidents like parking scrapes. On the other hand, the claims that the male drivers made tended to be big ticket incidents. Although there were fewer claims from men, overall they were costing us the most.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 04-03-17 at 11:19 AM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 11:34 AM   #66
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I've given up trying to fathom it out. On mine, with or without pillion made no difference to the premium; neither did adding commuting.
On a similar note, I rang my car insurers to add my wife as a named driver, thinking I'd have to pay an admin fee. Actually, they ended up crediting me as the reduction for adding her was more than the admin fee. So, logically(??), adding a second/named driver can reduce your motor insurance rather than increase it.
Always used to add my mum to my policy, she lives miles away and never drives my car but it brought it down.

Until she hit 65, then it stopped making a difference.
Old 13-03-17, 06:31 PM   #67
aj76

Well after following this thread I had a look around and couldn't find anything on Carole Nash related to allowed add ons so gave them a call to be told it's o. Aviva's allowed list and the only cost to add it is their £40 admin fee so Carole Nash will be losing my custom at renewal time 😤

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 07:10 PM   #68
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Not read the whole thread but thought I'd give you all a heads up, not just for bike but all motor insurance....

If anyone has noticed in the news the secretary of justice has changed the rules for personal injury rates, it's called the Ogden rate.

Insurers used to discount lump sum payouts at the Ogden rate which was 2.5%, she has changed this so the new "discount" is - 0.75%.

As a result every insurer will be increasing prices to help counter this, so expect some potentially serious hikes in your premiums going forward!
Old 15-03-17, 07:22 PM   #69
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
Not read the whole thread but thought I'd give you all a heads up, not just for bike but all motor insurance....

If anyone has noticed in the news the secretary of justice has changed the rules for personal injury rates, it's called the Ogden rate.

Insurers used to discount lump sum payouts at the Ogden rate which was 2.5%, she has changed this so the new "discount" is - 0.75%.

As a result every insurer will be increasing prices to help counter this, so expect some potentially serious hikes in your premiums going forward!
Yep! My renewal has gone up £20 despite another years NCD and no alternative quote came in less. Same with my car insurance.

All together now, "Moo," sound and act like the cash cows we all are. Insurers are not in the business of losing money, anytime, anywhere. The maxim must be, insure as little as you can, save your money for a rainy day. If you can. Not always easy but true.
Old 16-03-17, 07:36 AM   #70
shiftin_gear98

My renewal from Hastings came in £15 more than last year. With an extra years no claims.
Bennets did come in cheaper, however with Hastings I have a £150 comp excess no vol. Bennets would only offer £400 comp. Add that to the fact I simply don't like Bennets - (confirmed ******s). I just stuck with Hastings - (potential ******s).
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote